Why Aren't More Doctors Using Selphyl Fillers?

I am somewhat wary of having synthetic material injected into my face. I was wondering if Selphyl fillers is a good alternative.

Selphyl for facial rejuvenation

+2
The process for drawing blood and spinning it in the centrifuge takes less than 10 minutes. I do not see that as extra time because, while this is happening, I mark and inject local anesthesia (while some doctors may inject without local, I think that it makes for a much more comfortable and controlled experience). While the fillers produce quicker results, they also have the effect of bruising whereas the swelling from Selphyl lasts for just a day. Selphyl has not been as aggressively marketed as the fillers, which are part of a huge cosmeceutical industry. I think that the two can be highly complimentary.

Selphyl injectable filler

+2

Selphyl has only been around for about a year. A small sample of blood is taken from the patient and mixed in a test tube to separate blood components. This takes about 20 minutes. Some of the components are then injected into the area to be filled. Your body then makes collagen to fill the depression or fold. The process takes about 3 weeks from the date of injection to become visible. The advantage is no foreign material or animal derived chemicals are injected. It is supposed to last 12 or more months. Because of the time required to mix it and the time required to see any effect which is temporary it has not taken much of the filler market away from the hyaluronate fillers that have the advantage of no time spent mixing and immediate results.

Aaron Stone, MD

SELPHYL Facelift

+1

I treat patients with the SELPHYL Facelift at my practice, and think that the PRP fillers can work as the perfect complement to synthetic fillers. Since using SELPHYL involves the body’s own natural healing and collagen production processes, this means it takes a bit longer for results to show up. By injecting synthetic fillers initially along with the PRP process, patients can enjoy the immediate gratification of results out the door, while at the same time their body begins working to increase collagen production at the injection site. If you don’t want to include synthetic fillers at all, just be clear with your surgeon, and know that you might have to wait a bit longer for your final results compared to if you did include some synthetic fillers as well.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon