How Do I Fins Doctors Best Qualified for Masseter Botox?

I'm really interested in Botox for masseter hypertrophy. As far as I know, I'm a candidate for this procedure (meeting with a doctor will confirm this, obviously). So, in finding a doctor: Is any doctor who can administer Botox for wrinkles capable of injecting it into the masseter? Or should the doctor perform the procedure on a regular basis? How many masseter injections is a good number? Thanks!

Masseter injections of Botox should be done by an expert

+2

Some ENT doctors deal with this as a forte of theirs since they deal with TMJ (tempora mandibular joint syndrome) and plastic surgeons and dermatologic surgeons may deal with this too. Just having experience injecting Botox for cosmetic reasons does not make one an expert in thinning a wide face by relaxing the chewing muscles. There can be an imbalance if not done properly and this could create muscle issues with the bite. Some have noticed a pseudo fat pad prominence after the chewing muscles have relaxed. Check with your primary care doctor or dentist if they know of a good Botox expert to whom you can be referred.

Botox for masseter hypertrophy

+1

The botox cosmetic website is a good starting point for qualified injectors in your area. From this list call to see who performs the treatment for masseter hypertrophy. Consult with 2 - 3 who perform the treatment to find the one that best meets your needs.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Masseter injections with Botox - Finding a doctor

+1

Botox is a great way to reduce the volume of the masseters and may even reduce strain and tightness that you may feel when you wake up in the morning.  I normally start with 25 units on each side and then inform my patient that I may need to titrate increasing amounts to get the desired effect.  As with all Botox injections,understanding the anatomy is paramount to having the desired effect.  I would consider asking for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist with a lot of Botox experience if they have treated masseters.  Good luck

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Masseter injection with Botox

+1

If you have masseter hypertrophy and want a narrower look, Botox to the masseter may help. But what I find is that patients tend to be impatient and think that the botox will work right away. It will take a series of treatments spaced every 3-4 months for the muscle to shrink a bit.

Botox can be used for masseter hypertrophy to shape the jawline

+1

Botox injection ot the masseter is a very nice procedure for patients who have muscle enlargement and want to shape their jawline. This is seen often in the Asian population. Not all facial injectors are familiar with the technique of masseter injection, however. Your best bet is to call physician's offices and make sure the physician is the one injecting you. (I am a full beleiver in nurse injectors, but I feel this is an advanced technique and you should see a physician for this.) You will find that after injection, it may tke 4-6 weeks to notice the results. You may also need to return for a boost if you have not had an adequate response. When done correctly, there is little risk to the procedure.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Masseter Botox

+1

Without pictures or seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  However, masseter muscle Botox injections can be very effective at thinning the lower face in the right candidates.  This is particularly popular in the Asian population.  During a recent teaching trip to Japan, I found that this was the most popular area for Botox injections for the patients we treated.  In teaching this procedure, I am always very careful to point out the specific anatomy and landmarks for accurate injections.  You should really make sure that you question your injector about their experience before allowing them to inject you.  While Botox is never permanent, if it is not injected properly, you may have side effects that last several weeks to months.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Botox to the Masseter

+1

While the best answer is to find a doctor that has performed several of these procedures, Botox to the masseter muscle is a relatively uncommon procedure in the US compared to Korea and Asia in general.

Any surgeon who performs a high volume of facial surgery (i.e., someone who specializes in face), will be more than competent to inject your masseter muscles, however, provided he/she has significant experience in Botox treatments in general.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon