Avodart for Hair Loss?

I am having trouble finding a doctor in my area that will prescribe me avodart for hair loss. What can I do to find a doctor that will prescribe me something for off label use?

Hair Loss Medications

+2

That is because Avodart is not FDA approved for hair loss treatment. I am sure you would have no such difficulty finding a doctor to prescribe finasteride, which is a related FDA-approved drug

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Avodart for Hair Loss

+2

Your best bet is to keep calling. While I treat many patients with hair loss, I will not prescribe Avodart for hair loss. There are studies which show it to be beneficial but because it is off label, there are several implications which I believe are not acceptable for prescribing it for hair loss. Whenever you fill a prescription, it is recorded in a national database, with a few exceptions. Insurance companies, physicians, and hospitals have access to this database. Because Avodart's indication is for benign prostate hypertophy and not hair loss, if someone queries your prescriptions and sees that you take Avodart, the assumption is that you have benign prostate hypertophy. This can be labeled as a preexisting condition, may affect insurance rates, and may have other economic and political implications that we do not yet know. Since this is a cosmetic prescription and not in any way life threatening, I personally stick to only Propecia for hair loss prescriptions.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avodart for hair loss.

+2

Make an appointment with a hair replacement surgeon in your area for an evaluation of your hair loss and plan of treatment.