Can Botox Injections Harm my Unborn Baby?

Hi Doctors, I am pregnant (10 weeks) and was also wondering whether I can have s/c injections of any kind in my face? Also how local agent like Botox, which to be injected to the forehead can harm baby? Can you provide pathophys rationale, please? It is not a challenge,I just want to know it,before commencing any of those procedures. Sorry to be a pain, but I am also a health professional and will understand and appreciate your answers.

Botox while pregnant

+3

Botox is a cosmetic treatment.

Being pregnant makes you responsible for yourself and for your baby. I am sure you are aware that pregnancy carries a lot of potential problems of a biologic nature. To add a potential  problem of a cosmetic nature would not be wise.

No study can ever be done to prove statistically that Botox is safe in pregnancy, as it would be both illegal and unethical.

Even though logically, there would be no harm to the fetus, I would never inject Botox in a pregnant woman and I don't think any respectable Dr would.

Chicago Dermatologist

Botox and pregnancy

+2

Great question. There is no evidence to support that botox would cause any type of damage to your unborn baby. However, there are also no studies to support that it is absolutely safe. It is best to avoid any type of elective cosmetic procedures while pregnant.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Do not get Botox while pregnant

+2

There has not been a study done to determine if using Botox while pregnant is safe for the fetus, but I would absolutely not recommend it.  Nor do I think any licensed physician would treat you while knowing you are pregnant.  Your baby is more important right now!

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Safety of botox during pregnancy

+2

The safety of cosmetic injectables has not been studied.  Botox is injected locally without systemic absorption however. It is an elective procedure/ treatment and therefore most physicians would recommend not taking the risk and waiting until your pregnancy is over before receiving treatment.  Please inform your physician/ surgeon that you are in your first trimester before proceeding.  

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Absolute no no for Botox or Dysport injection during pregnancy

+2

One should never inject Botox or Dysport during pregnancy. Even though the possibility of botulinum migration to fetus may be just theoretical, there is no published data declaring its safety during pregnancy.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Pregnancy and botox or fillers

+2

There is no evidence on the safety of botox or fillers in pregnant women and there is no way to safely study this in pregnant women due to the potential risks.  Of course, there have been women who get treated with a neurotoxin or filler when they do not know they are pregnant, and there are no adverse reactions.  Most experienced injectors will tell you that it is unlikely to cause any adverse reaction and that lIkely, neither are absorbed at high enough levels to have an adverse effect.  HOWEVER, due to the potential risk and unknown safety, I do not know anyone who would comfortably do a cosmetic procedure on a pregnant (or even breastfeeding) patient.  It is just not worth the risk.  I read one report of a patient who received dysport during her first trimester and the baby was born blind and deaf (in Australia).  Was this the dysport?  Unlikely, but there is no way at that point... I wouldn't recommend taking a risk. 

Amy A. McClung, MD
Austin Dermatologist

Botox and Pregnancy

+2

I will not inject a patient with Botox who is pregnant. I doubt that any Board Certified well trained surgeon would.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox is not for pregnant or nursing women

+2

WIth all procedures we weigh risks v. benefits. Although there is no specific evidence that Botox cosmetic causes fetal harm it is not recommended that this procedure be done during pregnancy or on lactating women. There may be harmful affects we don't yet know about. Be patient.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Pregnancy and botox

+1
The safety of Botox in pregnant women has not been studied. However, notwithstanding that these are localized injections, common sense would dictate that you defer any unnecessary treatment until after giving birth. I do not treat pregnant women for any cosmetic concerns and, if surgery is required for excision of lesions that are of concern, will operate only with obstetric clearance and without the use of epinephrine and then only after the first trimester.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Botox While Pregnant?

+1

Hi Sandy.  There is no evidence to show that Botox would have any effect on your baby if used while pregnant.  But, because this procedure is not necessary for health reasons, there is no research available to show that there would not be any effects.  

Physiologically speaking, the Botox should not reach the fetus as it is absorbed into the muscles at the point of injection and metabolised in the immediate area.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD