I'm Looking for Doctors Who Perform Breast Revision Surgeries Using EPTFE?

I had very uneven breasts. My small side was a large A cup and the large side a C cup. I had an implant on the small side and a lift on the large side. The intent was a C cup on both sides. The implant brought me to an unintended D cup and began to contract. I had a capsulotomy and it contracted again. I want to fix the contracture and have an even, natural C on both sides, which was my original intention. Local doctors have given me little hope of success, but ePTFE sounds promising.

Breast revision surgery using synthetic mesh

+2

The use of a gortex bag to position a breast implant and help prevent capsular contracture was first described by Dr Berman.It is also called the pocket protector.Other synthetic meshes have also been used

Although you dont give details as to the position of your implants,I dont feel that mesh would be the first choice for you 

Reducing the size of your implants and placing them in a different pocket,would be a good option.You may also want to consider an adjustable saline implant

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Revision

+1

See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or several and ask them what your options are at this time. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

PTFE for breast surgery

+1

PTFE is used in suturing ther region around the areola to limit stretching of the areola in a circumareola lift. It is not used as a breast implant material. If you have repeated infections or contractures, you  may want to remove the implants and capsule, and wait a few months to have it revised.

Gortex and Breast Revisions

+1

Dear Graciela,  There are many parts to your question(s) so I will try to address them in order.  First, Gortex is really not a good material for treating capsular contractures.  Cortex is used in many surgical applications but in the breast other than being used as a suture material in a Benelli (donut hole) Lift, it is not the material of choice.  The recommendation today would be to use some form of alloplastic material-Strattice being one of such materials-to give support to the breast and the implant.  There are some reports of decreased recurrent contracture rates with these materials but these are short-term follow ups.  Long-term follow ups will be reported as they become available. Capsular contracture is an unclear process with lots of different ideas of why it occurs.  We do know that the #1 risk factor for forming a contracture is if you have had one before.  This is why your Dr's are being cautious because they cannot guarantee it will not reoccur.  You noted that you want your breasts to be even and natural.  No matter how good your plastic surgeon is, you will never have perfectly even, matched breasts.  Implants and other techniques can mimic a breast but because your left side is all natural breast tissue and your right is a combination of implant and breast tissues, there will always be some differences and there will be some differences that arise as you go through life and your breasts change with aging, childbearing, weight gain, menopause, etc.  A good long-term relationship with your plastic surgeon is key to the long-term success of your breast outcome.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Gore tex implants not a good choice for the breast

+1

ePTFE is the polymer that Gore-tex is made from, and there are a number of medical implants made from it. However, the only application in the breast is the use of a Gore-tex suture for a Benelli breast lift, and it can be complicated by late infections because it is porous and bacteria can stick to it. In my experience the most effective way to deal with a recurrent capsular contracture is a Strattice graft with implant replacement.

Richard Baxter, MD