Why Do Some Doctors Say to Expect Feeling Depressed After a Full Face and Brow Lift?

I had a face lift in the past, and felt for the most part, just fine. I had absolutely no depression or mood changes. However, some docs are not telling me it is normal to expect a depression after such surgery. Could you please explain why this might be.and how long it can last.

Depression after facelift

+5

There are some procedures that are very close to immediate gratification.  Breast lift comes to mind but facelift does not.

With facial surgery, you look worse before you look better and that alone can be depressing.  Also, most patients "hide out" after facial surgery and that isolation can also contribute to feeling down in the dumps.  And patients who are used to being active and getting some nice endorphins from a daily work out have to really take it easy for several weeks.  That decrease in endorphins can contribute to the post operative blues. 

So I tell my facial patients to expect being down in the dumps for a couple of weeks.  Things the patient can do that will help include:  avoiding mirrors, getting outdoors for some fresh air, avoiding negative "friends", avoid surfing the Internet for "plastic surgery disasters", eating really healthy food, and doing what you enjoy as long as it doesn't mean overdoing it.   

I see patients frequently during the first few weeks not only to make sure their recovery is on track but to give them a little pep talk.  And I really empathize.  I had a pretty rocky recovery from some facial surgery a few years ago and I know it can be challenging to keep a sunny outlook when you are looking a bit scary.   

Depression After a Lower Facelift, or Any Cosmetic Work for that Matter.

+3

Thanks for such an open question!  I do in fact discuss this with my patients.  I can sum this up very quickly I believe--- downtime.  Our patients tend to be very dynamic and have very busy and fulfilling lives.  We temporarily request and require a significant lifestyle change for a very brief time after surgery.  In addition, our patients are sometimes having significant changes in sleep, activity level and diet due to the normal stressors of surgery.

I really stress balance in all aspects of our lives for our patients.  We work together to get back into the swing of things as quickly as possible.

I am so glad you didn't experience anything like this.  It is certainly very common.  Being prepared and knowing that it can be "normal" is 90% of the battle.

Thanks again for such a great question.

Dr. Todd Hobgood

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

The blues after a facelift

+2

Doctors who perform facelifts and understand the process and pay attention to their patients know that some can get the blues in the first month or two after a facelift.

its not a deep depression but a very mild sense of blues.

i talk with a lot of other facelift surgeons and we all have had a patient or two that reports this.  It is rare and it is not really related to the patients appreciation for the results.  It is also temporary.

i often tell my patients about this in advance and this seems to prevent the phenomenon.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Depression after cosmetic surgery

+2
The phenomenon you describe does not affect everyone but I do think it is more prevalent in facial surgery. Despite looking at before and after pictures, some patients, in their mind's eye, think that the surgery will turn back the clock and make them look 30 again, rather than a more youthful 50. Or, they have surgery because or other social issues in their lives and when those don't resolve as hoped, they become depressed. All surgery and anesthesia is a trauma to the body and you have to be mindful of this, realize that it is part of the process, not expect an instantaneous result and be realistic about your goals and objectives.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Having the blues after facelift surgery

+1
It is very common after having a big life event to get a little down.  There is ramping up of excitement, then the event, and then the after effects.  With facial surgery there is also getting used to a face in the mirror that is different than what you are used to.  Also aesthetic surgery sometimes makes people look worse before they look better.  Please do talk to your plastic surgeon's office.  They see this stuff all the time.  They should be able to help.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Depression after Facelift

+1

Most patients have some pain or discomfort after facelift.  Though depression may not be observed in the majority of patients, there are some patients in which the postsurgical changes and the healing process produce changes in mood.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Depression after surgery

+1

Postpartum depression  is seen after childbirth. Post surgical depression is in my opinion related to the anaesthesia and medications, the change to passive activity and waiting to look "normal".I have seen it after rhinoplasty in men and in older facelift patients. It is difficult for the surgeon to treat by reassurance alone and most patients refuse psychiatric help.Fortunately it passes like its postpartum counterpart.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Emotions after Facelift or Cosmetic Surgery

+1

The emotional response to surgery is something that every surgeon is familiar with. It's been my experience that having clear communication and well defined expectations can avoid unnecessary stress after surgery. That being said, it's not surprising for someone to have a feeling of depression after surgery such as a facelift and brow lift. Factors which may contribute to this include anesthesia, stress, level of change in facial appearance and a person's previous emotional condition. As far as the duration, it can last for weeks to months.

Here's something we've used in our practice in New York to help people understand what they're going through when this happens: First week- can be an emotional roller coaster (low energy, feel "zombie" like, wiped out, zonked); Second week you may be "nit picky" and "antsy" and "weird" (irritable, sad, anger, confused, questioning); third week may be "showing off", noticing reactions about how you look, and feeling better and more comfortable with results.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Depression

+1

There could be several reasons for depression of listlessness after surgery:

1) Downtime

2) Effects from Anesthesia

3) Stress about the surgery

4) Improper Family or Friend Support

5) Concerns whether you made the correct decision.

To alleviate these concerns, it is important to choose a skilled and experienced surgeon and staff who can prepare you properly, walk you through the postoperative care, and deliver the results that you are seeking.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Depression Following Facelift Surgery

+1

Textbooks have been written about temporary depression following elective facial cosmetic surgery. However in my experience this is rare, not severe and short-lived. This can be avoided and minimized when the patient has been told what to expect and have good support systems around them.