How Do Doctors Downplay Ethnic Features, Like Noses, Without Changing Them Completely?

How do is an ethnic rhinoplasty surgeon chosen in my city? Would it be worth consulting surgeons in other cities, or are my expectations too high? Is a good nose job more about slight changes instead of drastic changes?

+2

These are good and valid questions.  The truth is that there are a set of aesthetic principles, IMHO, that dictate facial beauty regardless of ethnicity.  As such, the goal of Rhinoplasty and all plastic and cosmetic surgery and procedures should and must always be the creation of natural beauty following the proper beauty aesthetics.  Since these are not commonly understood or taught during training your goal as a consumer should be to travel wherever you need to to find a Rhinoplasty Surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.

Varying the degree of change during ethnic rhinoplasty.

+1

As with any other rhinoplasty, it is paramount that the patient and surgeon spend considerable time try to define as accurately as possible what changes the patient desires.  During ethnic rhinoplasty the most commonly requested changes are to 1) increase the projection of the tip and the bridge,  2) to narrow the tip and the bridge 3) to narrow the nasal base and 4) to decrease the size and flare of the nostrils.  Most patients ask for subtle changes to retain a given degree of ethnic uniqueness to their nasal features.  Some patients, however, desire more dramatic changes although there are limits to which one can affect the changes described above.  Computer simulation is the best method currently available to get an idea of what changes are possible and see how differing degrees of change will affect your appearance.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shaping Noses with Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

I like to tell my patients that I only seek to improve on undesirable
features, not completely re-do a nose, while keeping the nose in harmony
with the rest of the facial features.  Do your homework, and find a
surgeon who inspires confidence in his understanding and skills.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to perfrom ethnic rhinoplasty without overdoing it

+1

With any rhinoplasty there is a variety of stated goals from patients. Some want subtle changes while others are looking for more drastic changes. A good rhinoplasty surgeon takes a patient's desires into account and can use digital morphing to come up with a plan of what results are possible given the baseline anatomy

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

How to have an 'Ethnic Rhinoplasty' without being overdone

+1

Every nasal surgery is 'ethnic' to some degree. It's just that some ethnic groups share certain anatomic features more than other ethnic groups. However, there are a lot of overlapping characteristics between various ethnic groups. Ultimately each individual is unique - both in their actual anatomy and what actually concerns them about their appearance. When it comes to selecting a surgeon it would be preferable to choose one who has experience with your particular ethnic group but it would not be absolutely essential - particularly if you didn't have that option. A good Rhinoplasty surgeon will have experience with the various techniques that will be necessary for most any ethnic group. However, experience does play a significant role in achieving the best results possible. You should be able to find someone who can help you achieve your goals with little risk of looking 'done' or unnatural. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

The key to a good rhinoplasty is aesthetic balance of the face

+1
Recommendations are a good start for finding a well qualified board certified surgeon in your area. Hair stylists, make-up artists, facialists, see alot of people and are typically well informed of the work particular surgeons provide. Real self would be another start by reading the surgeons patients reviews, questions and answers, last but certainly not least see a few consultations and seek someone who you have a good repore with, you liked their before and after photographs and they seem to be highly trained in rhinoplasty as well as african american rhinoplasty. Yes sometimes this may take the search out of your city. I have patients fly in from all over the United States and multiple countries and this is not uncommon for many surgeons. Your question regarding is a good nose job about slight changes versus drastic? A good nose job provides an end result that gives you a natural looking nose that is aesthetically balanced and in harmony with all of your facial features. This nose should look like you were born with the perfect nose and not a "cookie cutter" type nose put on someones face that doesn't match the features properly. I also use a digital imaging computer which allows me to show the consulting patient the proposed surgical result and this is very helpful in opening up the discussion and making sure patient and surgeon are on the same page!

Michael Elam, MD

African American Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

As with all cosmetic plastic surgery patients must do their own research and pick a surgeon that they believe can help them achieve their goals.  In rhinoplasty surgery surgeons have different techniques, experience and aesthetic judgment.  See a surgeon who has extensive experience with non caucasian rhinoplasty.   Non caucasian rhinoplasty has different techniques which are very different technically and aesthetically to caucasian rhinoplasty procedures. 

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

During consultation a patient and surgeon decide what should be done with each individual patient. Within reason, there are multiple choices. Rhinoplasty is about subtle changes to improve nasal appearance and bring the nose into proportion with the surrounding facial features without changing ethnicity. Find experienced surgeons in your community or elsewhere - the results will last a lifetime.

Rhinoplasty with varying ethnicity

+1

Funny, I think all noses are ethnic for the given patient.  My goal is to soften the things that bother patients without changing their ethnicity significantly.