Why Do Doctors Differ over Longevity Of Sculptra?

1. Why do some doctors say that the effect of sculptra can last 5 years without top-up, while other say it lasts 2-3 years and needs annual or bi-annual top-ups? 2. Why would collagen from sculptra go down any quicker than your other collagen? If all your collagen goes down together then aren't you retaining the shape of the face 'sculpted' by your doctor - whether you like it or not? Thank you.

Longevity of Sculptra

+1
There is a difference in opinion in the length of Sculptra lasting after injection.  It generally lasts about two years.  However, if you are a long distance runner or lose a huge volume due to illness, you may need more Sculptra injected sooner to replenish the lost collagen.  The most important thing is to find a board certified dermatologist with a lot of experience in cosmetic facial injections.

How long does Sculptra last?

+1

I have been injecting Sculpta since 2004 and it is one of my favorite products for re-volumizing the face. However, I find that most people in their late 50's, 60's and older do not create collagen as well as younger people. Also the collagen doesn't last as long. Their studies are for 25 months and it apparently lasts that long. The question is: does all of the Sculptra last that long? I don't think so. Most of my patients get their two or three treatments and come back in for a touch up between one and two years. At two years they may need much more volume replaced. Also understand that those peoople who are very thin, such as runners, are on the brink of deflation constantly, so they may need more frequent treatments. I prefer not to treat smokers, as they don't have the blood supply to make collagen well. Also, I put virtually everyone getting Sculptra injectins on a whole food vitamin C, such as Pure Radiance C by Pure Synergy or the whole food vitamin C made by New Chapter. Vitamin C is required for the production of collagen at almost every stage.

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra lasts 2 to 3 years

+1

The difference in opinion among doctors on the longevity of Sculptra is based on their own experiences. The difference is also because all faces are different. Some lose collagen faster than other. A typical example would be runners. Also, in my experience I have found that increased life stress effects the longevity of Sculptra. Healthy living and younger age will make Sculptra last longer.

Once the Sculptra (or the collagen generated by Sculptra) goes away, the face will start the aging process backwards. However it is not possible to predict if it will continue to have the same look or different.

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patients differ on longevity, so doctors may differ

+1
  • Thin patients have decreased longevity or product  and require more
  • Sick patients require more and have decreased longevity
  • Patients who are runners and are gaunt get lesser results

The material remains the same, but the soil you plant it in varies - this explains much of the difference in opinoins.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon