Why Do Some Doctors Use Compression Garments After TT and Others Don't?

Compression garments after Tummy Tuck

+1

Compression following tummy tuck is used by most plastic surgeons, but there is little data to show that it speeds up healing or prevents seromas (fluid collections).  However, because of the fact that it intuitively makes sense, we recommend at least some type of compression, ranging from a custom ordered garment to snug fitting Spanx.  Most patients feel comfrtable in a compression garment in the early postoperative period, but those who don't are allowed to remove it.  Additionally, rsks can include dents or lines where the seams are most prominent.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

The Right Amount of Compression Helps

+1

Compression garments help to reduce swelling after abdominoplasty and liposuction (either or both).

In addition, compression does help the skin adhere to the underlying muscle.

It is very important that the garment fit well without creating creases or areas of constriction.

When you wear the garment, adjust it to smooth out any creases that can interfere with blood flow or create "dents."

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Use of Compression Garments After Tummy Tuck

+1

In my practice, I always use compression garments. I believe it greatly helps with swelling. The surgical garment that we send our patients home in can be quite cumbersome under clothing, so we recommend getting high powered Spanx to wear about two weeks after the surgery.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Compression garments fir tummy tucks

+1
I have always used postop compression as it reduces swelling and assists in adherence while providing comfort and security to the patient,

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tuck garments

+1

There is a lot of variation in surgical techniques and postoperative care.  Garments are helpful for many patients in my opinion.

David Stoker, MD

Garments worn after tummy tucks

+1

Abdominal binders or garments are useful for comfort and support after a tummy tuck. To some degree, they can control post operative swelling. The garments can also help the abdominal skin flap adhere to the abdominal wall during the healing process.However, there are no good scientific studies to suggest how long a patient should wear these garments. I usually have patients wear them for about four weeks. The garments can help and usually do not hurt. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for more specific information on this topic.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Abdominal compression after TT

+1

Wearing compression garments after TT surgery has always been a practice  for me because there seems to be benefit in shortening the time interval between when the surgery was performed and when the skin will adhere onto the muscles of the abdomen.  I use drains for the purpose of evacuating any fluid that may settle under the skin of the abdomen as well, and both of these techniques assist in shortening the healing time for the TT as well as to reduce the number of potential complications.  I see no reason to alter what appears to be working so well in my practice.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Compression Garment after Tummy Tuck

+1

Different surgeons do different things. I personally don't recommed to my patients to wear a garment after tummy tuck, although I don't discourage them from wearing it if they like. As was commented on by my colleagues, a garment can compress the surgical field, reduce swelling, and generally help in support of the area. Either way, there is no scientific evidence for or against wearing the garment after a tummy tuck. So, long story short, it's dealer's choice. Hope this helps.

Daniel Kaufman, MD

+1

Since I have routinely used compression garments for 30 years, I am not sure why they wouldn't be used. They help control the swelling to some extent, but the added comfort seems to be considerable. Many patients do not want to give up the garment even when I tell them it is no longer necessary. Perhaps some surgeons are worried about the pressure interfering with the skin's circulation, but if that really was much of a problem none of us would be using them. Having said that, I do not think they are critical to the results, just an aid. Find a doctor you like and trust and follow his instructions and you will have a good result.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Compression Garments

+1

I encourage compression garments for my patients as it helps keep the swelling down, compresses the skin as it is healing and also helps the patient feel more comfortable in the post op period.  

David Shafer, MD