Why Do I Look Small After Breast Augmentation?

5'4" 125lbs (plan to lose ten pounds once I get medical release from medical surgeon). Why do I still look small? I figured 450cc under muscle would suffice, but look as if I should have gone a bit bigger.

Too Small after Breast Augmentation?

+2

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery.

You do not say how far out of your breast augmentation procedure you are. It is not uncommon for patients to feel that they are “too small” or “too big” during the early time period after breast surgery.  Many of these same patients are quite pleased with the outcome of the procedure in the longer-term.  Therefore, I ask my patients to wait at least 3 to 6 months before judging the final outcome of the procedure performed.

Having said that, the most common regret after breast augmentation surgery (when it comes to breast size)  is “I wish I was bigger”. It is very important for patients contemplating breast augmentation surgery to be careful to avoid this source of dissatisfaction.

Careful communication between patient and plastic surgeon is one of the keys to successful outcomes; in my  practice I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process.

In your case, if you remain displeased with the outcome of the procedure in the longer-term,  I would encourage you to communicate your concerns in a calm/constructive fashion with your plastic surgeon.

Size questions following breast augmentation

+2

Implant size is based on your individual anatomy and one size will look much different on two women.  I like to give my patients an objective range based on their breast base diameter and desire for breast projection.  Going too large can be a problem especially with saline filled implants since they are not designed to hang over the lateral edge of the chest wall.  This increases the chances of rippling along the lower lateral quadrant of the breast.  

+2

No good answer is available without photos of before and after, but in general 450cc on your frame would be quite a larger than average size so it may just relate to expectations and body image.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Common Reaction For Many To Question If They've Gone Too Small

+1

You're concern about your implants looking too small after your breast augmentation is unfortunately a common one. Some women are afraid of selecting larger sizes because they don't want to look too big, or are afraid of what others may think. You have to remember, too, when you're trying on different size implants (whether at home with rice filled baggies or at your doctors office with actual sizer implants) that when they're placed under the muscle, they're no longer sitting on top of your chest, so they will be smaller once they're placed inside the pocket your surgeon creates. 

Luckily, many women find satisfaction with their breasts after waiting several months. By this time swelling has gone down and your breasts have settled. I advise my patients to wait at least six months before making any decisions about possibly going bigger.

Robert N. Young, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Too small?

+1

Hello. Your complaint is not uncommon. That being said you may want to give your results more time to show. You did not specify when you had your surgery but I’m guessing it was recent. Implants need time to settle and in many cases this will give a larger appearance. I would recommend giving the implants close to six months before considering a redo.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

450 cc implants and final size

+1

I am not sure what you mean by too small without seeing photos or examining you in person.  450 cc's can be a nice improvement for most people.

Breast Augment with larger implants

+1

Feeling too small after breast augmentation is one of the most common complaints and reasons for re-operation. It is very important for the surgeon to discuss size with the patient in consultation before surgery. My inital consultations often take well over 1 hour becuase of the time used to try and get the patient to the right size implant. However, there are some limitations on the size of the implant that can be placed. It is important that the implant "base diameter" be appropriate for your body. As the implants get larger there is often more late sagging (or bottoming out) and often neck or back pain. Your surgeon may have discussed this with you prior to the operation. It is important to go back and speak with your surgeon when there is anything you are unsatisfied with.

William LoVerme, MD

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Your question is a common one, and I don't know when you had the surgery. all that matters is that you are happy the way you look and feel. The 450cc you have may fit you perfectly. Give it 6 months and then decide. All the best...Thomas Narsete, M.D. Austin, Tx

Thomas A. Narsete, MD (retired)

Too Small Breast Augmentation Result

+1

I believe you have answered your own question. It is now apparent that you went with breast implants with not enough volume. As you have now learned, the correlation between implant volume and final breast size on any patient is not an exact science. No matter what method of estimation is used before surgery, some patients will still end up a little small (more common) or bigger (less common) than was predicted.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Still Small after Breast Augmentation

+1

Thanks for asking but without pictures and more information, it is hard to give an answer that will be useful. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon