Why Do Some Doctors Advise Patients to Continue Taping the Nose After Splint Removal?

Why do some doctors advise the patients to continue taping the nose after splint removal while others do not? What is causing the difference in opinion? Also, how long after splint removal should one tape the nose nightly? Thanks! :)

Taping the nose after splint removed following Rhinoplasty

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and I'm not sure why surgeons have patients tape their noses after the cast (splint) is removed following a Rhinoplasty.  In theory, tape application would push the swelling out of the nose, however since the tape has no inherent spring or strength to place continued pressure on the nasal tissues...most patients, IMHO are more likely to just lay the tape on the skin...which logically does nothing to push out swelling from the nasal tissues.

This is why, many years ago I started to instruct all of my Rhinoplasty patients on manual lymphatic drainage techniques to perform daily beginning one month after their Rhinoplasty.  Gentle, sustained pressure, in the appropriate location, does effectively remove excess swelling in the nasal tissues.