What Doctors Accept Medicaid for Breast Reduction Surgery?

Im 239lbs my breast size i don't know anymore

Breast reduction in a plastic surgery training program is usually safe.

+1

Hi.

I would not go the Medicaid route.  Find a teaching hospital with plastic surgery residents, where the surgery is done under supervision.  In New York, we have one at Lenox Hill Hospital.

Breast reductions and Medicaid

+1

There are still many of us out here who accept Medicaid.  The criteria remains the same as with any other insurance.  You will need to demonstrate symptomatic macromastia ie neck back and shoulder pain, rashes, bra strap grooving,  etc.  The amount that needs to be resected will be determined by the Schnurr scale.  

The biggest barrier to you getting a breast reduction is not Medicaid but is your weight.  At your weight, you will have more issues with wound healing, seromas, etc.  also, depending on the amount that needs to be removed, you may require a free nipple technique which completely removes your nipple and then places it back onto the breast in the same fashion as a skin graft.  Your nipples will be insensate and have a higher probability of partial loss.

that being said, a breast reduction is still a great operation if you are suffering from the effects of having giant breasts.  You can use this as a stepping stone to embarking on a healthier lifestyle in order to lose weight.  You will find it much easier to exercise without having to deal with huge breasts.  Please reference the post in the community section of your replies to find a plastic surgeon in your area

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Medicaid Coverage?

+1

Unfortunately, it may be very difficult to find the highest quality of care if you are seeking  to have the operation covered through Medicaid. Many plastic surgeons no longer work with this organization given the bureaucratic hassles involved ( and extremely low reimbursement rates).

You will have to do your due diligence by calling the offices of board-certified plastic surgeons to see whether they work with this organization or not.
 Given that your first priority should be safety as well as outcome of the procedure, you may do better by gradually saving up for the procedure and/or obtaining an alternative form of health insurance.