A Doctor Told Me That I Could Get a Way with Liposuction Instead of a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Unfortuanately I know when something is too good to be true. I do know that I would not need to get my stomach muscles tightened and I do agree with his statement on that note. My sister had a mommy makeover & we are the same size. She got a regular tummy tuck all he did was tighten her up and give her a new belly button. The problem is... I am worried about how high the scar will be, hers is so high and the dr. told her it was low. What are my options on minimal scarring and low as possible?

Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

From your photographs, you definitely need a tummy tuck since there is excess skin above the umbilicus.  There are 2 components to a tummy tuck.  One is removal of the excess skin and second is tightening underlying fascia.  Fascia is the support layer that holds your abdomen flat when your stomach muscles are not contracting.  The use of mesh in tummy tuck results in weight loss and maintenance of the reduction of weight.  I would not recommend liposuction but do recommend an abdominoplasty with mesh reinforcement.  The incisions are placed horizontal, low, are hidden by your underwear and fade in time.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/profiles/weight-loss-surgery-as-systems-engineering

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

You are a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  The scar from a tummy tuck is pretty long, but it gradually fades over several months.  Don't waste your time with lipo; you won't get much improvement/

Lipo or tummy tuck?

+1

Your photos would indicate that a tummy tuck would be your best procedure as there appears to be fairly significant laxity of the underlying muscles as well as redundant skin overlying. Your concerns about scar position are very valid. This is a point to discuss with your plastic surgeon and have him/her show you where they anticipate the final scar to be.

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

Based solely upon your photos it looks like you have a lot of loose skin and could benefit from a tummy tuck.  Liposuction will not remove the loose skin and weak muscles.   The scar can usually be placed pretty low.

Tummy Tuck or Lipo?

+1

Just from your pictures a tummy tuck is the obvious answer, be sure your doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon, many "cosmetic surgeons" only perform lipo suction and way over promise laser lipo results. I perform laser lipo on a regular basis and while it does offers some improved skin tightening, it does not take the place of a Tummy Tuck. With a mini tummy you could get your scar quite low, good luck!

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

+1

I dont think Lipo would give you what you want...Your tummy wall is stretched out and your skin is loose...That has "Tummy Tuck" written all over it!!! Unless you are never planning on wearing a bikini, you really do need your tummy tightened and even then, it doesn't seem like you have that much fat anyway....

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or liposuction, that is the question.

+1

The photos seem to strongly suggest that you would most benefit from a tummy-tuck. The photos also suggest that the incision can probably be quite low. But the final decision can only be made by an actual physical examination by a Board Certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Web reference: http://drlefkovits.com

Tummy tuck will produce better result

+1
It is impossible to comment on your sister's result sight unseen. If she needed an abdominoplasty with liposuction and had only a tummy tuck, then the result might not have been optimal. You have too much excess skin and bulging for liposuctioin and, personally, I would rather not operate on you than to perform a procedure you think you want but will not produce a result that I consider acceptable, I hope that you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon. The scar can be placed low so that it is camouflaged within the pantiline and this can be discussed during preop consultation. Good luck!

You will get much better result with tummy tuck

+1

You have excess skin and rectus diastesis. Your standing straight shows the bulging of the abdomen due to muscle separation and bent forward shows the excess skin. Liposuction  is to suck the fat and your issue is not excess fat. The position of the scar can be low based on the patients anatomy. you would benefit from mini tuck with floating the belly button. Please check my web site for a patient similar to you.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck is better than liposuction when there is loose skin or stretch marks

+1

Despite the hype about laser lipo such as smart lipo tightening skin, it doesn't do nearly enough to make a significant difference when the skin is loose after pregnancy or weight loss in the vast majority of cases. It is important to have a thorough discussion about scar placement though. I believe that the scar can be lower when progressive tension sutures are used.