How Do You Know Which Doctor is "the One"? (photo)

Ok so although millions of girls all over the world go through this procedure on the daily i feel like my breast are different and a simple breast job might not do the trick, im very self concious of them and feel like part of me is off, i have dreams of becoming a swim suit model but my breast wont cut it. ive gone to a few doctors all american board certified but still iffy on if im choosing the right one.

Choosing the right plastic surgeon

+2

Board Certified in Plastic Surgery is the minimum requirement here, next is the one who has the most experience and the best photos to show you of folks with similar starting points to YOU, finally the one who honestly tells you that you need a lift with the implants for the best results.

What is your goal?

+1

Picking a Doctor is always difficult. For a breast job a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon should be where you look.

Your statement does not explain what your goal is so it is difficult to advise you. A lift only , mastopexy with implants or an AUG are all possible.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the right doctor

+1

It does not sound like you found "the one" yet.  When you have your consultation appointment with a surgeon you should hope that in discussion your concerns are addressed and a good surgical plan is established.  Your "gut" should tell you after speaking with the doctor and his staff.  Good luck.

Picking a Doctor

+1

You are right, a simple breast augmentation will not be helpful to you.  Although there is nothing wrong with your breasts, operating to enhance them will require improving their shape, symmetry, and possibly size.  This means that in addition to breast implants, a breast lift should be performed.  If the same sized implants are being utilized, then some breast reduction is necessary for your right breast (my preferred technique, instead of using two different sized implants).  

Certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery is a baseline minimum requirement.  Membership in the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery is an additional requirement, and signifies that the surgeon specializes in cosmetic plastic surgery.  The surgeon should have a well developed practice specialty in breast surgery, indicating his experience (numbers of surgeries) and expertise (complexity of surgeries) in breast surgery including augmentation, mastopexy, reduction, combinations of those mentioned, and revision surgery of all mentioned.  A surgeon with experience will generally have a reputation in his geographic area for being good at what he does. Finally, your selected surgeon should be someone you feel connected to and have bonded with in the consultation.  You need to be able to communicate with and trust your doctor.

If you use the above as a check off list, I am sure that you will not have many surgeons to choose from. In fact, you may have eliminated all your current doctors you've met.  I hope this has been helpful for you.  I think you should get a fantastic result, one that will allow you to go forward with your dreams.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

How Do You Know Which Doctor is "the One"?

+1

Not everyone is a suitable candidate for cosmetic surgery and surgeons turn down patients frequently if they have unrealistic expectations or any other problem that might interfere with a satisfactory surgical outcome, either physically or emotionally. If you have seen multiple doctors and none seem right it is most likely that you are not ready to have this procedure. They are probably all telling you what the limitations are in creating what you want and you are not liking what you are hearing. If that is the case you should believe what you are hearing and alter your expectations of what the surgery can accomplish. I get several patients a year that come to the consultation with breast anatomy similar to yours and show me pictures of post op breast patients that have high round breast augment results and that is the patient's goal. It is unattainable and if they are unable to accept that, we do not accept them as surgical candidates.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Who is the best plasticv surgeon for you

+1

There are many things to consider when choosing the plastic surgeon you entrust to care for you. You needs certainly to look at training, credentials and experience. After doing this homework, have a few consultations and see if you feel as though the plastic surgeon understands what you are trying to achieve and will try their best to get you there. Look also at the before and after gallery either on their website or in the office. This is what they feel represents their skills. There are many board-certified and well-trained plastic surgeons out there. I'm sure you will find the one who you click with. I wish you well and good luck with your modeling career.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

How to pick a plastic surgeon for breast augmentation-lift.

+1

Hi.   I hope you find this article useful.

1) Is the surgeon a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Members usually do a lot of cosmetic surgery.

2) Did you sense a commitment to excellence in the office. Did the surgeon spend a lot of time with you? Someone who rushes through the consultation may rush through the surgery.

3) Were you treated as an individual? Did the surgeon present you with a surgical plan tailor made for you?

4) Plastic surgeons have to have a good eye and meticulous technique.  Did the surgeon show you A LOT of before and after pictures, and did you love the results?

5) Talk to other doctors you know. Established plastic surgeons have a reputation in the community, good or bad.

6)  Ask to speak to a patient who has had the procedure you want.  You are looking for a surgeon who does a lot of what you want.   Many  patients are eager to share their experience.  Privacy is preserved by having the patient call you.

7)  If you are having breast augmentation, ask if the surgeon has a large inventory of different size and shape breast implants available in the operating room.  A surgeon who does a lot of breast surgery will have an inventory.  This way, the final implant choice does not have to be made in advance.

8)   With office surgery, make sure the surgical facility is ACCREDITED.   Very important safety assurance.

9)   Make sure the anesthesia is given by a BOARD CERTIFIED ANESTHESIOLOGIST.  Another very important safety factor.

10)  Make sure the office has trained nurses available for hands-on post operative care.  This can really speed recovery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Choosing a Surgeon

+1

You need to do your research to find "the one" that you feel comfortable with for performing your surgery. Choose a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (not cosmetic surgery) and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  From here, you know you are selecting from qualified surgeons.  You need to meet with the surgeon, see many examples of their work and talk to patients about their experience with the surgeon and the staff.  If there is a way to speak to and meet patients who have undergone a similar procedure, that is usually very useful.