Getting Another Doctor to Supervise Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had a Revision Rhinoplasty where the major problems I paid $10,000 to fix, were not corrected at all (it's literally almost as if the doctor cut open my nose and closed it right back).

I NEED another surgery, but I don't have the money. My surgeon is offering a free-revision, but I don't trust his judgement as is. Would there a chance that another doctor would agree to 'watch' my doctor perform the free-surgery and give tips, to make sure he's doing it right? I really need the no-cost correction, but I need to make it goes right!

Get a second and third opinion

+2

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with rhinoplasty. As you are aware, rhinoplasty is an extremely difficult surgery and revision cases are even more so. If you are not comfortable with your surgeon doing your revision you should seek out additional opinions. Ask around for who is good in your area. Ask nurses who work in the OR, they often know who is really good.

Finally, you need to find a surgeon that you feel comfortable with. I doubt you will find a surgeon who will be willing to supervise another doctor operating. The supervising surgeon would be assuming liability for the actions of the other doctor. Good luck!

Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgical supervision

+2

While it's unfortunate that you still don't have the results you seek, what you're suggesting here is very unlikely. You surely can't expect that a supervising surgeon would be interested in spending three or four hours of his time as well as his expertise for free. I'm not sure why a surgeon would want to volunteer that kind of time and service for a purely cosmetic purpose.

Think of the travel arrangements, as well. And if you're supposing it would be a local surgeon supervising, why would he/she want to essentially train his/her direct competitor?

Might I also suggest you post a picture of your current nose. It's possible that more minor procedures would be able to give you adequate improvement.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Price versus value in revision rhinoplasty

+1

Before you decide to let your surgeon operate on you again, ask yourself one question.  The price (free) may be right, but are you getting good value for the surgery?  Meaning, is it even worth what you would be paying (nothing) for the revision if you don't trust your surgeon?  I highly doubt you will find a qualified surgeon willing to "supervise" gratis.  If money is the issue, don't rush into a revision surgery.  Wait until you are in a better financial situation, then take your time to choose the right surgeon.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Supervising Rhinoplasty

+1

I am deeply sorry for your dissatisfaction. The selection of your surgeon is key to a successful result.  However, it is unlikely another surgeon or even your surgeon would enter into this relationship as it is important to maintain the connection between your surgeon and you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Supervision of Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sorry about your dilemma, but I cannot imagine another surgeon volunteering to supervise your surgery. Get copies of the operative report and pictures taken before your last surgery before seeing an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon for a second opinion. This will help you make a decision.

Surpervision of Rhinoplasty

+1

Revisional surgery is typically  more difficult than primary surgery. It would be inconceivable to me that any surgeon would ever agree to what you are proposing.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Revision is more difficult in RHINOPLASTY than primary rhinoplasty.

The second surgeon need to be paid and  the two surgeons need to agree on the surgical plan, this is difficult to arrange.

You better see another Board Certified PS for the revision, and need to pay another $10,000.

Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery is more challenging than Primary Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

You would be best to consult a board-certified, experienced Rhinoplasty specialist for an opinion about your nose.

Revision Rhinoplasty surgery is one of the most challenging operations I perform. I recently performed a revision nose-job on a patient with a simillar situation. She went to her first surgeon for removal of a bump, and narrowing of her tip. She didn't notice much after her surgery, and allowed the surgeon to operate a second time. After having a second surgery without correction of her concerns, she consulted me. After two Rhinoplasty Surgeries, it looked as though noone had operated on her. Pre-operatively, I thought she would be a relatively easy case. During her third revision Rhinoplasty, I encountered excessive scar tissue and many permanent nylon sutures in her tip that required attention. Her surgery went well, but I cannot stress the importance of your surgeon's experience before proceeding with further Rhinoplasty Surgery. Her photos are attached for your perusal.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty is very difficult

+1

A revision rhinoplasty is harder than the original surgery. Sometimes the result is as good as it gets and more surgery will only make it worse. This is very hard for patients to understand.

I doubt that any surgeon would "watch" another without being paid and even then they would want to do the surgery themselves if they were going to be legally responsible for it.

I would go to some other rhinoplasty experts and ask them honestly if this is just as good as it gets for you.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the surgery that you had performed. I doubt very much that another surgeon will watch to provide tips. If you have lost faith in your doctor, I would seek another opinion.