Why Did my Doctor Use Steri Strips on Top of my Upper Eyelid Stitches?

The strips are now really dry and tight, is it okay to put an ointment on them/

Strips on sutures?

+3

I used to do it to prevent the lids from oozing blood. I don't any more because pt's did not like the feeling of the strips on their eyes and honestly it looked gross, so I stopped. knowing the suture line will be visible encourages me to leave a perfect fit. definitely add ointment and with some luck they'll just fall off.

Disclaimer: consult your physician before following any advice on the internet without an exam

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Steristrips and upper bleph insicions

+3

Dear Kristina Jefferson City,

The steristrips are placed over the incisions to reduce tension (pulling) on the incisions, and to add a layer of protection to the incision from trauma or contamination. They are usually removed at the first visit with your surgeon. They are not critical to your healing and often fall off before the first visit. Having said that, I would advise you to contact your surgeon, as each has their own way of post operative management. He/she may say it is OK to apply some ointment, but it is better to let your surgeon know about your concern and see what they recommend. Good luck.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC 

Lawrence Tong, MD

Why use steri strips on incisions?

+2

Steri-strips are used to reduce wound tension for imporved scars.  Steri-strips are also used to prevent the sutures from being pulled out inadvertently. Usually after one week the steri-strips can be removed.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Steri-strips add support to hold suture line together.

+2

Steri-strips, which are small glue-tapes used with various surgeries, help hold the "cut" edges of the skin together, and reduce the "pull" of the edges apart. Keeping the "pull" off the edges helps the incision heal to a fine line. Each surgeon has their own technique(s) for wound closure, and sometimes it is a "belt & suspenders" philosophy whereby the surgeon just wants to make extra sure that the surgical wound has lots of protective support right after the surgery.

Debra Irizarry, MD
Crestone Plastic Surgeon

Steri strips on upper eyelid stitches

+1

I normally put steri strips over the ends of the upper eyelid stitches that stick out of the skin at each end of the stitch.  One steri strip is placed on the forehead between the eyebrows and the other is at the outer side of the eyelid.  It helps to keep the stitch from sliding out too early.  I usually remove the steri strip and then the stitch at three to five days after surgery.  Ointment can be placed over the incision on the upper eyelid twice a day.

James Tang, MD

Steristrips and Belpharoplasty

+1

I would certainly address your question with your Surgeon.  Steristrips are used for two reasons 1) reduce wound tension, and/or 2) hold a suture in place. I close my upper eyelid Blepharoplasty incisions with a running subcuticular prolene suture.  In this situation, steristrips are used to hold the ends of the suture in place and prevent inadvertent removal; the suture is gently pulled out of the healed incision a week later.  For this reason, I do not recommend placing ointment on steristrips

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Steristrips after eyelid surgery

+1

Dear Eyelid Surgery Patient from Missouri,
This question must be answered by your surgeon. Steristrips are placed over the incisions to reduce tension on the incision lines. I do not recommend my patients to put ointment on the steristrips.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Steri-strips on eyelid sutures.

+1

Your surgeon can give you the exact reason steri-strips were placed on your eyelid sutures.  In general, steri-strips are used to hold skin edges together and reduce the tension, ie pulling apart, of the incision.  Differant surgeons have differant techniques to minimize scarring and this is one technique used.  Before placing anything on your steri-strips, check with your surgeon.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Steristrips and upper eyelid surgery

+1

The real answer should come from your own doctor. However, steristrips are often used in place of sutures or to support the incisional healing after the sutures have been removed.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Steristrips on upper eyelids

+1

Every surgeon operates a bit differently.  You should contact your surgeon to ask him about the steri-strips.