Which Doctor Specializes in Mole Removal?

Hello, I have this mole that all of the sudden appeared in my hairline, straight up above my left eyebrow right at my hairline. Never had anything like it there before, it just appeared within the last year but now that it's gotten bigger. I'm concerned.

I've had a few people tell me it looks like a malignant one. I'm not sure where to go get it checked first. To a regular doctor, a dermatologist, a plastic surgeon? Please I need some guidance on this, and does anybody know how much does it all cost? Thank You

Choosing your Surgeon?

+1

Check with the American Society of Plastic Surgery for plastic surgeons appropriately trained and certified in your area. This is a good place to start.

Next evaluate the experience level and quality of results by looking at before and after pictures and examining/talking to patients who have had similar procedures performed.

Once you have done enough due diligence research you will feel comfortable with the plastic surgeon you choose.

Start with a Dermatologist

+1

I would start with a dermatologist. I say this not just because I am one, but because I feel that the extensive training and experience we possess makes us experts in evaluating and treating pigmented lesions. It may be that your "mole" is not a mole at all but another lesion like a seborrheic keratosis or a hemangioma. It may be treated with cryotherapy (freezing) or scraped off rather than excised, leaving you with a better looking result and a somewhat fuller wallet. If your dermatolgist feels that you would be better served by a plastic surgeon, a referral would certainly be forthcoming.

Not only would a dermatolgist examine the mole you are concerned about, but we would also embark on a full skin exam.

Many of us perform dermatoscoppy which increases the proper diagnosis of suspicious lesions from a 65% accuracy rate with the naked eye to an 85% rate with a dermoscopy. Personally, this little epilumenscent light, has saved many of my patients from a biopsy.

I feel that most plastic surgeons, if they had a relative with a suspicious lesion would send them to a dermatologist instead of one of their colleagues, the same way I would consult a plastic surgeon if my eyebrows begin to cover my eyes.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist