Doctor Recommendation in Seattle to Deflate an Implant

One of my saline implants deflated on its own 2 weeks ago. I cannot afford to have them surgically removed at this time (I'm not working and am barely making rent each month). I checked with the surgeon who performed the operation 9 years ago, and he said the implants are no longer covered under warranty. He does not deflate implants - he will only remove it under anesthesia, which will cost around $2k (not an option). I feel stuck in this situation and am hoping someone can help!!

Finding A Surgeon?

+1

Check with the  American  Board of Plastic Surgery  and/or  The American Society of Plastic Surgeons for plastic surgeons appropriately trained and certified. This is a good place to start.

Next evaluate the experience level and quality of results by looking at before and after pictures and examining/talking to patients who have had similar procedures performed.

Once you have done enough due diligence research you will feel comfortable with the plastic surgeon you choose.

Breast Implant Deflation

+1

Consult with your surgeon about deflating the implant under a local anesthetic in their office. Contacting a teaching hospital in your area is also an option. In the meantime, you can use the pads from a bathing suit or purchase a bra "enhancement" to achieve symmetry. Best of luck! 

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Finding a local plastic surgeon

+1

You may want to check out the local teaching hospital.  They usually have very good assistance for plastic surgery procedures and very low rates.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Deflation of saline implants

+1

Sorry to hear about the deflation of one of your saline implants. Although the manufacturer does have a guarantee (hopefully you filled out the form at the time of your surgery) for a free implant replacement and partial surgery/anesthesia/operating room costs. If you can't afford to have that done, another option is to have your other implant deflated at the office so you would not be asymmetric. I do this in my office under local anesthesia. You do not need to have the shells removed, but if this is a concern to you, these can be removed under local anesthesia as well, saving you a lot of money. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Can't afford explantation: what are the options?

+1

The first thing that you need to do is contact the manufacture of your implant to determine if it is still under warrantee and if it is, exactly what and how much they will cover. If you don't know which company it was, obtain your medical record from the plastic surgeon or the facility that you had the surgery performed in.

If after obtaining all this info, you find out that you will not be able to afford the surgery, you can consider having the other implant deflated which can be performed in an office with little expense. You can call a few board certified plastic surgeons in your area and I'm sure at least one would be willing to fulfill your request.

Good luck!

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Deflating a breast implant intentionally

+1

Any plastic surgeon can deflate your implant in the office under local anesthesia.  Your implant warranty by the way should be good for ten years.

I would consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, there are many good surgeons in Seattle.

You can go to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons  website for a listing of surgeons in your area.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Deflated implant should be covered

+1

Saline implants from both manufacturers should be covered if the surgery was 9 years ago, though I don't know the specifics of your case. Implant replacement is a lifetime benefit, financial support for costs to replace are typically 10 years.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast implant deflation

+1

The removal of implants does come with a fee, but if the implant is ruptured or failed somehow than it is often replaced by the manufacturer.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Implant deflation

+1

Usually deflated implant replacement is covered up to a certian cost. You can check with the manufacturer of your implant to make sure of what is covered.  The two  manufcaturers in the US are Allergan and Mentor.

Breast implant is guarenteed for ten years

+1

If your implants were manufactured by the the two US manufacturers Mentor and Allergan, they both provide free replacement implants for life, should they deflate.   They also offer an extended more comprehensive coverage for an additional fee paid at the time of implant  insertion.  This comprehensive warranty covers the facility, anesthesia and surgeon costs of replacement surgery for ten years after insertion.  I would contact your manufacturer directly to see if you qualify for the extended coverage. 

Raymond A. Capone, Jr., MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon