Doctor Ruined my Neck and Jaw Line What Happened? (photo)

I had a neck lift a little over 6 weeks ago at age 50 and it keeps getting worse on right side and in center and chin. At 3 weeks I had 3 lines in the middle towards the top of my neck going up like a smile just on the right side which got worse each day, Looks like he pulled that side to tight. There are now more wrinkles. Also my chin is dented on right side with wrinkles and lumpy skin hanging. Doctors please inform me what happened to my neck and what if anything can be done to fix this.

Necklift Complications

+2

It is very difficult to evaluate your issues without exam.  What appears to have happened from the pictures is that there seems to be a significant degree of rippling and puckering of the neck skin.  It also appears that there is some swelling in the submental area.  Also, it appears you have some residual platysmal bands.  This can happen if the skin is not fully released from the deep structures in the neck during the surgery.  It is also possible that a platysmaplasty was done, and it resulted in significant puckering and fullness under the chin.  At 6 weeks out from surgery there is not a lot that can be done immediately.  I would suggest waiting at least six months before you seek revisional surgery as full healing needs to take place.  At that point a revision procedure may involve elevating all the neck skin and redraping once again in a smoother fashion.  If platysmal laxity is present a platysmaplasty can be completed at the same time.  I suggest you follow up with a physician specializing in facial cosmetic surgery for evaluation.  Good Luck.

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fix neck lift with a pouch under the chin and excessive wrinkles

+2

You may have fluid in the pouch under the chin, or excess fat or skin under the chin. If it is fluid accumulation, a strap under the chin will help. If the pouch is excess fat or skin, you will need the neck lift revised by clearing the submental area of excess skin, muscle, or fat and re-lifting the neck into the face.

Lu-Jean Feng, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Problems of Isolated Necklift

+1

First, an isolated neck will not address the jawline. It usually will not remove a significant amount of skin either. Part of what you have is the excess neck skin and jowl that was not addressed by the procedure you had. That is why I essentially never do an isolated neck lift, but, instead, take care of the neck at the time of a facelift. The other problem you appear to have is an accumulation of blood or fluid under the skin just under your chin. It may be possible to drain this. Therefore, you need to see your surgeon again soon. A neck strap may also help resolve some of the swelling. If the fluid can be drained, much f your problem may resolve in time. If not, you will need a full facelift with redo of the neck.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Doctor Ruined my Neck and Jaw Line What Happened?

+1

I have questions for you. Need before photos to compare! Was the surgeon a boarded PS? Did you have a full face/neck lift vs a mini with liposuction of the sub mental area? 

+1

I would give the result another 6 weeks to mature and allow the swelling to resolve.  If you want a revision at that time, find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of necklifts and facial procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Irregularities after Necklift

+1

It is hard to tell from your pictures exactly what type of necklift you had performed. But I do not see any pre auricular incision around the ear which suggests an isolated necklift. Because only a limited amount of skin can be removed or repositioned with a submental approach to neck rejuvenation, irregularities and lumps are not rare as the excess skin retracts and scars down. This is an issue that needs to be left alone to heal for 6 months before considering any type of revision.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Neck lift questions

+1

It appears from your pictures that you did have an isolated neck lift using a sub mental incision. You need to ask your surgeon what is going on! We do not have before pictures and enough information to give much advice. I hope your doctor is board certified  and that he or she discussed with yo the limitations of an isolated neck lift. Good Luck and let us know your progress please.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon