Is It Ok for a Doctor to Use Restylane That's Ready to Expire?

I had restylane used in my lips 1 week ago. It came out horrible. The doctor told me I should use restylane instead of juvederm. She went on to say that she will give me a deal on restylane as she has a box that is ready to expire. But, she went on to tell me it wont expire in the lips. She still charged me 650.00. It looks horrible. I can't see a difference anymore other than one side hangs down. Is it safe when ready to expire? Thank you!

Expired product

+2

I would not inject expired restylane. However, if the product has not expired yet, it is Ok to inject.  It is prepared knowing that it will last a certain amount of time in vivo( in your body).

Restylane expiration

+2

The FDA would not allow the Restylane to be packaged with an expiration date if the product was not good shortly before the expiration date. So as long as the product did not pass the expiration date, then it should be fine.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Some Deal!!

+2

It really does not matter how "cheap" the injections cost, if you get a bad result. Where I practice, $650 is not such a great deal.

I would not be as worried about the nearness of the expiration date, as to the reasons that the syringes are about to expire. That might be a hint that this physician is not particularly experienced. I would blame faulty injection technique or maybe the physician having an off day, rather than the material itself. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

"Deal" on Restylane? The Most Expensive Procedure is the Cheap One That Requires a Revision

+1

Be careful on "deals" when it comes to your face and buying parachutes.  The whole situation sounds a little off.  There are many Doctors, PA's, and NP's with no training in facial procedures entering the world of aesthetic Medicine.  The modus operandi is always the same, "I'll do it for less money".  Facial Plastic Surgeons, Plastic Surgeons, and Dermatologists who are experienced injectors would not offer you a nearly expired product as an acceptable treatment alternative.  I think the level of satisfaction with your result say it all.  FYI, $650 is not exactly a "deal" on a syringe of Restylane and remember that it is worth it to spend a little more when it comes to results and experience.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

When a Restylane "Deal" is NOT really a Deal

+1
I could not agree morewith my Dermatology colleague. Active Plastic surgeons and Dermatologist do not have expired Botox or Fillers (Restylane, Juvederm etc) lying in their office cabinets. An ethical physician would never use an expired medication of any kind. The price you paid may be a "deal" for Beverly Hills or Park Avenue but is far from a deal where I practice. I can tell you that you would have gotten a much larger savings and had the product placed better in Memphis. Dr. Aldea