Is a Doctor Required to Fix an Unsuccessful Breast Lift?

4 months ago I went in for a breast augmentation to deal with symmetry and sagging issues on my D cup breasts. Dr. suggested a small reduction, a full lift and 400cc silicone implants(ttl cost $8500). Result is lopsided. Dr. offered to redo the lift on the left, but says I have to pay $1200 for 3rd party surgery fees. Shouldn't he fix it at his own cost since it wasn't done correctly?

Breast Augmentation/Mastopexy Revision and Costs?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Your plastic surgeons offer to revise your procedure without  surgeon's fee is quite standard. Generally, patients should understand that despite best efforts,  surgical results are not always ideal.  less than perfect results does not mean the surgery "wasn't done correctly”.

Costs of revision surgery: Why surgeons ask for payment and do not do it for "free"

+1

The original fee was reasonable given the complexiyt of the operation. The surgeon is going to have to pay to order a back up implant, staff, anesthesiologist and facilitiy fees and the fees quoted for the revision are not exorbitant. IF surgeons were to offer revisions for free, some patients would ask for repeated revisions which could end up in a greater complication. By offering his/her time, they are already sacrificing in ofer to meet your expectations. It may be hard to believe but he/she is already losing money once a revision is being done. Surgery is not 100% predictable and should not be undertaken with the thought of getting a perfectly symmetric outcome. IF the surgeon's costs were zero, I'm sure they would not charge you but that is not the case.

Revision

+1

I think the surgeon is being very reasonable by waiving his professional fee.  Part of informed consent is letting the patient know there is a risk of asymmetry.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Redo mastopexy

+1

All surgeons are a bit differnet and may have different office policies regarding revisions.  While the doctor sounds like he is not charging you a fee for his service, there are costs that need to be covered for the facility, and staff, and supplies to redo your surgery.