Can a Doctor Replicate the Results of Fillers with Fat Transfer?

I'm a 27 y/o female with a gaunt looking face due to loss of fat and deficient cheekbones. I want to add volume to my face, but I'm terrified of getting permanent unnatural/bad results with fat transfer. I'm considering getting my cheeks filled with a filler first. If I like the results, then I'll get fat transfer since for permanent results. I was wondering if a doctor can give me the same results as facial fillers using fat transfer? What kind of facial fillers should I get?

Smart To Try Fillers First Before Fat Transfer To Face

Thank you for your question. Fat Transfer to the face can produce excellent results for adding volume to the cheeks and a gaunt face. However Fat Transfer is usually a permanent correction and you will be stuck with the result if you do not like it.

We typically recommend that our patients try facial filler injection first to see if they like the result before proceeding with a permanent correction.

There are many fillers available. We use Retylane for a short term-3-6 months or Perlane for a longer-9-12 month result. If you like the results and choose to stay with fillers, Sculptra can create a more permanent correction.

The skill of your surgeon is the most important factor for a good result. Inquire how often the doctor does facial filler injections and ask to see photos of his/her results.

Try temporary filler before fat grafting

If unsure about fillers, try a degradable filler first. Once it dissolves away you can get fat grafting which is both permanent, natural and reproducible to any filler on the market. 

Facial Augmentation with Fat Grafting

Fat Grafting for facial augmentation is a far superior procedure compared to utilizing artificial fillers.  I feel that fat grafting by an experienced surgeon will provide you with far better augmentation especially in the areas you refered to.  Taking a first step with filler is not a bad idea, as the results are temporary.  I would suggest fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm, which can also be dissolved with Hyaluronidase injections if you are truly not happy with the results. 

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek fat transfer

Yes.  It is possible to perform cheek lipoaugmentation with fat.  Typically about 5 to 7 cc of processed fat is needed per cheek.  I my opinion, the results obtained can exceed that of any filler in terms of costs and the natural look.  Also, the results are permanent.  To learn more, please visit the following link.

Cheek fillers vs fat transfer.

I have done fat transfer for 35 years. Having said that, I would not have this done if I were you. Using juviderm is subtle, reversible, does not have to be over injected since some will absorb, is much cheaper, buys you time to your exact pattern of continued fat loss, etc. Radiesse can be used as well but is not reversible but lasts longer.

Facial volume enhancement with fat transfer

You can absolutely replicate the results of facial injectable fillers with fat transfer. If you would like to do a 'trial run' with filler first, use a hyaluronic acid-based filler such as Juvederm. If you see a surgeon who is experienced with fat transfer, you should not expect issues such as lumpiness or an unnatural result. The key is the aesthetic, with the idea of balancing your face, not changing you into a different person.

Jason Litner, MD