Doctor Removed Tampons the Next Day After Surgery. Too Soon?

I had hump reduction with osteotomies and tip work. Doctor removed tampons next day, less than 24 hours... I am worried because I heard from friends that theirs were removed 3 days or 10 days later. Now I have extensive bleeding from one nostril (because of tip stitches) and I am worried about that too. So did the doctor do it wrong?!

Packing removal after nasal surgery can range from none to one day to 3 days to weeks

+1

The choice to use nasal packing is really up to the doctor. I found that a light packing for one night is best. That works like a band-aid in absorbing the light bleeding that occurs for a few hours after any surgery or injury. Some surgeons leave it for 3 days, as I used to. Some doctors actually sew in plastic stents for up to a few weeks. And some surgeons don't pack the nose at all. I feel that no packing actually leaves more crusting for the next week than a light pack. There is no absolutely right answer.

+1

Packing is not necessary, and there should be no ill effects from removal.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

There is no correct time to remove packing after nasal surgery.

+1

The use and removal of packing after nasal surgery is at the discretion of the surgeon. There is some debate that it is necessary at all. Trust your surgeon.

Nasal packing use during rhinoplasty

+1

Every surgeon has his/her preference when it comes to packing.  Many surgeons, myself included, do not use packing or tampons at all.  Some oozing is normal the day after surgery, but if there is extensive bleeding you should follow up immediately with your surgeon.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD