Doctor Only Recommended 300 Cc Removal for Breast Reduction?

I went for my first breast reduction consult yesterday. Currently I am 4'11" and 132 pounds. My bra size is a 34DDD. The plastic surgeon only recommended 300 cc removed from each breast. Does that seem like too little? It seems like I have a lot more boob that that to work with. I would like to end up in the large B small C range but from what I have read 300 cc's would only take me down about a cup size??

Breast reduction

+1

To properly give an estimate of resection amounts, an exam in person is critical.  While your initial size sounds large, it may not be that large a volume on your frame to accommodate the reduction amount that you suggested.  As for final cup size, again it is hard to determine exactly even in person, because cup size does not always correlate with volume of excision due to the differences between bra manufacturers.

How much to remove in breast reduction

+1

Hi, the tissue removed in a breast reduction is measured in grams not in ccs and there is no accurate way to predict exactly how many grams or ccs can be removed. In order to maximize the amount of tissue removed as in your case, the procedure has to be marked and planned according to known techniques that preserve the blood flow to the nipples and areolas, only then the surgeon can weigh the tissue and tell you how much could be removed. 300cc or 300 grams both seem too little to remove per side if you are really a DDD and want to become a B/C. A 300 gram reduction is considered a small reduction in general and I recommend you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and go over pictures to have an idea about the result vs weight removed and also to look at the resulting scars and their location. 

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction and Resulting Cup Size?

+1

Thank you for the question. There is no direct correlation between the amount of breast tissue removed during breast reduction surgery and the ultimate cup size achieved.  Therefore it is best NOT to communicate your goals by discussing cup sizes. It  maybe better to communicate  using visual aids such as photographs of  breast size that you wish to achieve.

It will be important for you to find a plastic surgeon who you have confidence in; once you  do so communicate your goals carefully/clearly and ask him/her to remove whatever amount of breast tissue is necessary to  meet your goals as closely as possible.

+1

That sounds like a reasonable amount of tissue to remove for such a petite patient. Understand that weight is at best an educated guess and once the surgery is done and the actual tissue removed, then you get the real weight. Surgery doe not stop just because a certain weight is removed. Surgery stops when the reduction is complete.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Surgeon recommendation

+1

Your surgeon's recommendation seems reasonable. Without an exam and consultation to review your objectives, lifestyle, and lifestage, there would not be basis for me to recommend otherwise.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

How Much Tissue Should Be Removed for a Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for your question.  It is impossible to give you an answer you could rely on without an in-person consultation. I would need to examine you, talk to you about your goals and educate you about what might be realistic. It is also difficult for you as a patient to know what specimen weight means in terms of final size.  Express your preferences to your surgeon, view some of his or her pre and post op photos, and then let the surgeon you choose make this decision for you. It is not one you can make for yourself.  300 gms might be just right.

Mary Lee Peters, MD