Looking for a Surgeon with Ethnic Rhinoplasty Experience

I live outside of the US. I can't find a surgeon in my city with ethnic rhinoplasty experience. I am willing to travel for the surgery. I want a more refined and feminine nose. Keeping my ethnic features is not a concern to me. My nose is droopy, with very wide nasal bone and wide nostrils.

Being outside of the US, it's hard for me to choose wisely since some websites have no pictures of African Americans. Is there a state in the US with more experience surgeon in ethnic rhinoplasty and affordable?

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+3

My suggestion would be to find a surgeon who performs a great deal of rhinoplasty. As suggested by some of my other colleagues, if the surgeon performs a great deal of rhinoplasty surgery and they are in a larger metropolitan area, chances are a large proportion of the rhinoplasties they perform are going to be on non-Caucasian patients. I would suggest asking to see photos of others they have operated on or better yet, ask to speak with some of the patients whose photos you have seen.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hispanic and other ethnic rhinoplasty surgery

+3

What is an "ethnic" nose anymore? Here in Miami, the ethnic Hispanic nose is more the norm rather than the exception. And of course, while the Hispanic nose is actually many different possibilities, there are consistent characteristics that make this nose surgery similar to that of other ethnic groups, including Caribbean, African, and Asian.

Researching for an experienced surgeon is important for achieving a natural appearnace that will aesthetically complement other facial characteristics. Going to websites is very important, and can help you to make the right decision. Computer imaging also is useful for providing realistic expectations -- be sure that your surgeon can provide you with many before and actual after photos.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+2

My thought is that your best bet is to find someone who performs rhinoplasty often. This person will be familiar with the limitations of the surgery and will be familiar with your case as it is quite typical in appearance on the surface but may be tricky during surgery. Many intricate findings can be encountered at the time of surgery and they all must be considered prior to surgery in order to be prepared.

Meet with several plastic surgeons until you feel comfortable with the proposed plan.

Best Wishes,

DoctorMeade

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Rita Marie,

Ethnic rhinoplasty is a subspeciatly in itself. The anatomy of the nose changes as ethnicities vary.

To my knowledge there are very few surgeons that have mastered ethnic rhinoplasty. The best advice I can can give you is see many surgeons before deciding. Rhinoplasty is the most difficult surgery performed in plastic surgery, revisions are even harder. So it's best to get it right the first time.

Make sure the surgeon can show you work that you really like and speak to several patients that have had the procedure eith the surgeon.

Best, Dr. S.

Web reference: http://www.africanamericanrhinoplasty.com

Rhinoplasty

+2

To me every Rhinoplasty is ethnic. While the specific anatomic structures are the same they all vary in shape and size. A good rhinoplasty surgeon can treat the majority of noses equally as well. Find a good surgeon, and I am sure he can treat your concerns.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty Surgeon in Canada

+2

You can go to Dr. Peter Adamson in Canada where you live. He is excellent and I have learnt from watching his rhinoplasty videos. I am not sure how many ethnic noses he does but with his skill I am sure he can help you.

Regards

Web reference: http://www.janjuafacialsurgery.com

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing an Ethnic Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+2

Hi Rita-Marie,

Your nose (from the photo) appears to be correctable with the combination of standard rhinoplasty techniques and some "ethnic" rhinoplasty techniques.

Experienced rhinoplasty surgeons should be able to help you achieve your rhinoplasty goals.

Once you have a few rhinoplasty surgeons to choose from, I would be happy to give you my opinion if I know their work. Contact me once you have a few names.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Ethnic rhinoplasty - how to find a surgeon

+2

I understand your dilemma in finding a surgeon. You probably already looked for someone close to you. It would be important for you to find a surgeon who is experienced in Rhinoplasty in general and Ethnic rhinoplasty in particular. Even if you are not looking to preserve your ethnic features, your nose anatomy, bones, cartilages, skin are different from the one of a white person. It is important that the surgeon has the experience and understands the differences.

Review before and after photos, make sure you like the results, and perhaps ask to talk to some of the past patients with similar issues. Most surgeons are happy to connect you to their patients from the past.

As far as a state, perhaps West Coast or East Coast surgeons will have more experience in ethnic rhinoplasty. Talk to several, some surgeons can do an online or over the phone initial consult. Beware of pricing that is too cheap or too expensive. $5,000 - $7,000 is the usual range.

Good luck.

Cities have a large patient mix.

+2

In New York, we have a huge diversity of patients, my experience is varied and I do many patients of different ethnic backgrounds. Pick a well experienced plastic surgeon or one with both plastic surgical and ent training.

Very smart to look for a specialist in ethnic rhinoplasty

+2

Rita-marie,

I think it's great that you recognize that you should find a specialist in Ethnic rhinoplasty. While we see the entire gamut of noses in ethnic patients, it is important to recognize that the techniques needed for ethnic noses is often different than traditional reduction thinoplasty that only make the nose smaller.

Hard to say there is a state where a lot of ethnic rhinoplasty is done. Rather, I would recommend bigger, metropolitan cities where a lot of plastic surgery is done- Beverly Hills/ Los Angeles, NYC, Chicago...

Good luck and Happy Holidays!