Does a Doctor Put a Person to Sleep to Fix a Broken Nose Bridge?

hy daughter was hot on the left side of her nose friday and it broke the nose bridge,will the doctor put her to sleep to fix it. she is 13 years old.

Anesthesia for Reducing a Broken Nose

+1

Reducing a broken nose (attempting to put the nasal bones back in place) is a painful procedure.  Either very good local anesthesia is needed or sedation to help your daughter through the procedure.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will general anesthesia be used to fix a broken nose?

+1

Very sorry to hear about your daughter's injury. General anesthesia can be used to fix her nose, and the best anesthesia for her will be discussed prior to surgery to ensure she is as comfortable as possible.  With nasal trauma where a closed nasal reduction is necessary, it is best to perform the procedure within 7-10 days of the initial trauma. After that window has passed, it may be necessary to wait up to six months. I hope this helps, and please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

For young patients I feel anesthesia sedation is preferred for broken noses

+1

In order to "numb" a broken nose, it only takes a few shots, but those are inside the nose. I even use sedation by an anesthesiologist for most adults. Having broken my nose and getting it fixed during Medical School, the needles do hurt. So, if your insurance covers it, go for it.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Anesthesia to fix a broken nose

+1

Although it is possible to perform a correction of the broken nose without anesthesia, I would not recommend it, especially in a  13-year-old.  Moving broken bones is painful and not the type of experience you would want your child going through awake.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal fracture

+1
I would reccomend a short general anesthesia in a 13 yr old. Setting and splinting a nasal fracture takes less than 30 min so her risk from anesthesia will be very small. To be honest it actually more risky driving to the hospital ;). She will do fine. dr K

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

+1

This can be done under local anesthesia, most often in adults. For a 13 year old, oral or IV sedation will definitely make the experience less unpleasant. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia to Fix Broken Nose

+1

Usually a light anesthetic is given to a patient to correct a broken nose but this will depend on what is necessary. After evaluation alternatives will be described in detail. It is best to have your daughter seen by a surgeon within 10 days of the injury .