Why Would Doctor Try to Put in Juvederm in Lips to Fix Marionette Lines?

I went to a Doctor for my Marretti lines he only used a small amount one forth of the juvederm vial to fix my marreitt lines yet i had it done before and doctor used one whole vial and i was happy. This Doctor used only one fourth vial and said he did not want to overdue. When i went back to him for follow up he said if I put some in your lips it may help the marette lines three vials later. And never used any in the Marretti lines. I am overdone with the lip area.Why do lips?Is this normal?

Why Juvederm in lips to fix Marionette lines?

+1

Without a photo it is hard to say whether you are overdone...But it sounds unusual to use 3 syringes of Juvederm in your lips and not in your marionette lines when that was your primary concern. I'm sorry you had this experience. 

WIll Juvederm in the lips help improve the appearance of marionette lines?

+1

Filling the lips with Juvederm may help reduce the appearance of smoker's lines above the upper lip.  This is most effective when Botox is injected around the smoker's lines.  In general, filling the lips with Juvederm will have a minimal effect on the marionette lines.  The marionette lines are best improved with:

1) Perlane
2) Restylane
3) SMAS
4) Fat Transfer

I would recommend further questioning with your physician who performed the injections regarding his or her reasoning. Thanks and I hope this helps.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm in Lips to Fix Marionette Lines

+1

Fillers in the lips will not help the marionette lines directly. The quanity injected sounds excessive. Confirm with the injector the amount that was injected and the rationale for the treatment. If you are unhappy with the explanation, then go for a second opinion with an experienced and expert physician injector.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Correction of the marionette lines with filler

+1

I agree with the other surgeons in this forum. Three vials in the lips would certainly make them look overdone and this does not address your underlying issue. In some patients who have a down-turning of the corners of the mouth, I place a tiny amount (~0.1 mL or 1/10 of a syringe) of Juvederm or Restylane right at each corner of the lower lip. I feel this nicely turns up the corner of the mouth and begins the correction of the marionette lines. However, the remainder of the syringe is placed directly in the marionette lines themselves. Usually 1 or 2 syringes are required for the marionette lines, depending on how deep they are. 

You should address your concerns with your physician. Luckily, Juvederm can be dissolved almost instantly with hyaluronidase. Seek a 2nd opinion from another doctor if you are not satisfied with the answers you get from yours.

Bet regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Marionette Lines

+1

It is unlikely that injecting into the lips would have any affect on the marionette lines themselves. I am unsure why this approach was followed, but it's best to talk to the person who injected you. Three vials is a lot to put in the lips, unless smaller syringe sizes were used....

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Discuss with your doctor

+1

Fillers in the lips do not affect the marionette lines. If you are not satisfied with your doctors explanation, I would seek a second opinion.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers and the face

+1

This is a discussion you should have with yoru doctor. Fillers in the lips themselves will not impact the marionette lines directly.