Can a Doctor Pop W/a Needle my Saline Implants. I Don't Like Them but Don't Want Surgery.

I heard of a person doing this and left the deflated implants in. It took just a few minutes. Can this be done? Since it's just saline are there any risks of letting it leak out. My implants are way too big and I don't want surgery again to replace them. I'd rather have them disappear. Thank you.

Breast Implant Removal - Can a Doctor Pop W/a Needle my Saline Implants. I Don't Like Them but Don't Want Surgery.

+3

The short answer is - yes, that can be done.

In fact, there are many women who undergo an undesired breast implant deflation (it deflates spontaneously) and, for any of a variety of reasons, they choose not to undergo an immediate replacement or remove (ie, pregnancy).  There are basically no medical contraindications to leaving a deflated implant in place.  The saline is absorbed by the body and the shell does not normally cause any medical problems.

However, it is normally possible to feel the deflated implant, and that can be uncomfortable.  For that reason, it is more typical, if you want the implants removed, to actually remove them surgically.  That is typically a relatively small procedure, it can usually be done under local anesthesia, and it avoids the problem of a folded-up implant causing you discomfort in the future.

Furthermore, there are certain situations in which a patient may undergo a planned, staged deflation prior to another procedure (ie, to give your body a chance to have the skin contract on its own).  Granted, that is essentially a part of another surgical procedure.

That being said, as long as you understand the potential problems with leaving a deflated implant in you - and that you may ultimately need to have it removed because it's uncomfortable - it's understandable why you may want to have them deflated.  They can always be removed at a later date.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

+2

Do I agree with Dr Rand! In fact the "popping" of an saline implant to decrease it's size falls below the standard of care. Removal, as Dr Rand states, is an easy local anesthesia that takes minutes. Please reconsider having the "popping" done.  

Popping a saline implant

+2

It is very easy to pop a saline implant with a needle but the folded up implant bag is often felt inside the pocket.  It is very easy to remove them so usually this is what is done.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS