Panniculectomy the Right Choice?

I am 5'4 and weight is 165 but all of this weight is in my stomach and have a pannus that goes to my mid-pubic area. I have lower back aches. I get rashes that just dont go away in the crease people that I dont know have asked me even when was I expecting.

Panniculectomy the right choice?

+2
Hello! Thank you for your question! I hope that these answers help! A panniculectomy is an excellent method for removing the excess skin and soft tissue of the lower abdomen (abdominal panniculus), often caused by weight loss. It is mainly performed to ameliorate symptoms caused by the abdominal apron such as hygiene issues, excoriations, rashes/infections, back pain, etc. A panniculectomy gives almost immediate relief from these issues as well as has been shown to stimulate additional weight loss as your activity level is increased after removal of the panniculus. An abdominoplasty is more of an aesthetic procedure in that as opposed to simply excising this excess tissue in a wedge to relieve complaints, an abdominoplasty focuses more on abdominal contouring, abdominal wall tightening, re-insetting the belly button, as well as often times the addition of liposuction.

I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for a panniculectomy or body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results as well as be the safest for you. Neither one is a weight loss procedure. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you. You should consult with a plastic surgeon at anytime to go over options and in order to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right one for you. Depending on your examination, photo documentation, and discussion of your symptoms, insurance coverage may be possible. Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Tummy Tuck vs Panniculectomy

+1

Tummy tuck is mainly to improve shape and contour by plicating your core tight then re-draping the skin. Without the core tightening (muscle repair), its not a tummy tuck, but a panniculectomy (skin and fat resection). Results are much better with a tummy tuck. See a board certified plastic surgeon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Panniculectomy vs tummy tuck

+1

A panniculectomy is usually reserved for the patient who has a hanging roll of skin and fat but isn't a good tummy tuck candidate.  You look like if you just lost a few pounds you could be a good TT candidate and get a better result that just a pannus removal.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS