Who to See for Mole Removal?

My dermatologist does not seem very interested in removing my moles. He tells me it is unnecessary, none of the moles are on my face but one is in my pubic area.

Do you think it will make any difference if I tell the doctor how big of a psychological problem it is for me and who is better suited for this, dermatologist or plastic surgeon? Thanks alot.

Mole removal

+1

I would recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist for an evaluation.  Depending on size and location, it may be something that is referred to a plastic surgeon.

Skin lesions and moles should be first evaluated by a board-certified dermatologist

+1

Not all skin lesions are approached the exact same way. When you get evaluated by a plastic surgeon, the skin lesion in question will almost always get excised with sutures whether or not it may be the best technique in each situation. It makes sense that a skin lesion in question be evaluated by a board-certified dermatologist who can recommend the best options that are appropriate for each type of skin lesion to maximize eradication and to minimize scarring. For example, vascular laser for hemangioma, shave biopsy for a raised mole or suspicious growth, punch biopsy of a suspicious pigmented lesion, Diode laser for dermatosis papulosis nigra on face, liquid nitrogen cryotherapy for molluscum, etc. For removal of benign lesions, you should be prepared to pay out of pocket as they are almost never covered by insurance carriers unless there is a clinical suspicion or the lesion has brought about significant irritation or physical discomfort.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon