Is It Possible for a Doctor to Dilute Juvederm?

My recent visit to a new plastic surgeon produced great results (well, after 2 follow ups with additional product needed) using Juvederm XC in the cheeks, nasolabial folds, and lips. However, 2 months later, the product is completely gone!! That's a lot of money for 2 months of results! I've been using Juvederm for several years in those areas, but using a different practitioner---with my prior practitioner the results lasted 6-8 months. My recent dr must have diluted the product. Possible?

Juvederm and restylane may dissolve faster sometimes.

+2
If you're concerned about the dilution just ask the doctor.usually the XC form of Juvederm having anesthetic in it is not diluted. If it is placed more deeply in the fat rather than the deep dermis/fat junction, it may dissolve faster.

There could be several explanations

+2

If I give the doctor the benefit of the doubt, I'd first want to know how many syringes you were getting in the past, and how many this last time. Sometimes doctors are too conservative. But it is always easier to add than subtract, so I never fault a doctor for this. Next, if you were getting regular filler and then this time you waited a longer time, you may have lost some of the cumulative benefit one gets from regular injections, so the end result did not last as long. Another possibility is that the first doctor used Juvederm XC Ultra Plus and this one used a less robust product, Juvederm XC Ultra. Juvederm could be diluted, but it is usually with anesthetic and the XC line already has lidocaine in it, so there would be no reason to dilute it. Talk to the doctor about your concerns.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Diluted juvederm?

+1

I do not know of anyone that "dilutes" juvederm.  Perhaps you did not get as many syringes injected as before.  Or as one  other physician mentioned, it was injected deeper.