Should a Doctor Demand More Money Because Operation Was More Difficult Than They Thought It Would Be?

I had a capsular contraction due to trauma from a fall. Mammogram showed a large because the surgery took 3 and a half hours. $ 5,000 paid up front. An additional $10,000 is demanded.

Demand for more money following plastic surgery

+1

I have personally never done this and would never consider it. I believe it is unethical. Look at your consents as you may be bound by what you signed.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

A Surgeon's Fee is an Estimate of costs

+1

A Surgeon's Fee is an Estimate of costs and for the vast majority of cases is accurate. In your case I suspect though I may be wrong  that the major increase in costs may be related to increased Operating Room and other Surgery Center fees and  Anesthesia fees.  I would carefully look at your estimate of costs and the surgical consent and financial agreement (contract) you signed. 

It the surgery was the same procedure that was anticipated but was "harder than expected" or simply took longer than anticipated - the vast majority of surgeons will not charge more for the Surgeon's fees but don't have any control over the above mentioned components. On the other hand, for example, if an additional surgical procedure not anticipated was required. it would be reasonable to consider an extra charge. Was this possibility discussed with you before hand?

I think that most Plastic Surgeons would welcome your concerns, thoughts and will want to discuss this with you in person and  be reasonable. The business of Plastic Surgery is based on understanding an ultimately happy patients.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Patient Financial Obligation after Unanticipated Difficult Surgery?

+1

You'll probably find that you will receive a variety of different responses from online consultants. What really matters however is your “contract” with your plastic surgeon. What was discussed preoperatively? What is written in the preoperative paperwork that you read and/or signed.

I would suggest that you communicate your questions with your plastic surgeon in as calm and nonaccusatory fashion as possible. He/she is likely very motivated to keep their patients as happy as possible.