What if a Doctor is Not Certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery?

Plastic surgery within the head and neck

+1

The American Board of Medical specialties recognizes 2 specialites to perform Plastic Surgery within the Head and Neck:

1.  American Board of Otolaryngology 

2.  American Board of Plastic Surgery

Board certification

+1

It all depends upon what you are looking for.  I assume you want facial aesthetic surgery.. The ABFPRS is for facial plastic surgeons with ENT training and teh American Board of Plastic Surgery is for plastic surgeons that treat not only the face but also the body.

ABFPRS Rhinoplasty Surgeons

+1

If your surgeon is not board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, they still might be qualified to perform your surgery. Make sure they are at least board certified in plastic surgery. Beyond that, though, you need to make sure their practice focuses on cosmetic rhinoplasty surgery on a regular basis. I would also suggest you see a good number of before and after photos of real rhinoplasty patients who they have worked on over the years. A small sampling of less than 10 patient examples would be a red flag that they do not perform rhinoplasty on a consistent basis. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

The American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery

+1

The American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery is a group that are primarily Otolaryngologists.The American Board of Plastic Surgery is recognized by the AMA and is composed exclusively of Plastic Surgeons.I am not sure what you mean by your question,as the literal answer is that if a doctor is not certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery then he or she is not certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Certification

+1

Board Certification is important but not a must. If he is certified by The Am  Board of Otolaryngology-Head and neck Surgery, and he has experience with the procedure you want, he may be competent.

Although in this country it is legal to perform any medical procedure as long as you have a medical license, I am not sure you would want anyone but a specialist to perform your procedure. You must explore what kind of Doctor he is. 

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon