At Dr. Appointment the Botox Syringe Exploded All over my Eye Area

I'm very afraid - could I get the botulinum toxin as this was a mucus membrane? Does botox absorb topically?

Botox Exposure Topically

+2

Having a Botox syringe 'explode' is rare.  What happened was the needle was not pushed down on to the syringe forcefully enough.  Although the likelihood of complications from topical exposure to Botox is remote, there is still some risk. I have to disagree with the other comments.  Botulinum toxin is absorbed through the skin and in fact a topical gel form is currently making its way through the FDA.  Absorption will be highly correlated with skin thickness and presence of a keratin layer, therefore, Botox would pass easiest through the mucous membranes of the eyes.  That said, I am not aware of a single case, anywhere in the world, where topical exposure of Botox to the mucous membranes of the eyes caused any problem.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Accidental exposure of Botox through mucous membranes

+2

This can sometimes occur with the use of syringes in which the needle is not permanently attached.  Botox needs to be injected through the skin in order for it to be absorbed, which is why "Botox creams" are nothing more than a hoax.  You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

No it does not absorb this way.

+2

This can rarely happen.  It really means that the doc just wasted a bunch of BOTOX.  None of it will be absorbed.  However it is very startling when this happens.

Botox and eyes

+1

Botox is purposely injected into eyemuscles by Ophthalmologists for blepharospasm and as close a procedure this is to the eye, I have never heard of any complication of mucus membrane penetration with visual distrubance. See an ophthalmologist with any new symptom that develops for your reassurance.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Don't be overly concerned over a little bit of BOTOX in the eye

+1

While BOTOX is a botulinum toxin, I would not be concerned if a little bit dripped into the eye area unless you are getting symptoms like redness, irritation, or blurry vision.  You can use preservative-free eye drops to flush out the contents from your eye.  There have been multiple occasions where BOTOX has dripped on the skin and around the eye and I have not been aware of any serious complications from any of these instances.  If you are having any symptoms associated with muscle fatigue, breathing difficulties, or anything systemic, you should see a doctor right away.  But, BOTOX making contact with the mucus membrane should not cause a significant problem in small doses. 

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox syringe exploded

+1

No, the amounts of Botox toxin are miniscule and pose no medical danger from being absorbed by the eyelid mucosa.  You can relax.

Botox dripping on patient

+1

It is highly unlikely that the botox that gets on your skin or on your eyelid mucosa will do any harm. 

Botox spilled on skin and mucous membrane not harmful

+1

Botox spilled on skin and mucous membrane is not harmful. The risk of absorption from the exposed skin and mucous membranes should be minimal, and so any local effect is highly unlikely.

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

This should not cause a problem.

+1

Occasionally a syringe will leak or become detached during a Botox treatment. In my experience over the past 17 years, this has never caused a problem.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox palm beach gardens

+1
While there is a theoretical risk of the botox being absorbing by the mucous membrane of your eye, in reality this is highly unlikely and you should not have any problem from the syringe explosion.

Anita Mandal, MD
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon