Doctor only removed 600cc during liposuction - Will I need a revision?

I had lipo a week ago on abdomen and love handles my doctor only took 600ccs i am afraid i wont have a flat stomach i am 5'4'' and 160 pound. also not sure what kind of lipo i had. i was awake and he injected fluid and lidocaine into me let me sit for a while like 20 mins or so then with some sort of vibrating assisted tool he removed the fat from my body and then tightened my skin with a laser but he didnt do smart lipo because he harvested my fat for stem cell rejuvenation not fat grafting.

Liposuction - 600 cc's was removed; is that enough?

+2

Hi auroura ,

It's difficult give an absolute answer without knowing a little more, but I suspect that 600 cc's is not enough fat removal from someone who is 5'4" and weighs 160 pounds.

In general, the final results of a lipo depend on what you looked like before (height, weight, distribution of fat, amount of elasticity of your skin - ie, the anatomy), the procedure that is done, and the way that your skin and tissues contract and adapt to their new contours.  There is a certain amount of variability in all of this, and no way to make an absolute guarantee, but if you start with these three factors you can usually have a range of expected results.

It sounds to me that not enough fat was removed from your in order to effect a dramatic enough change in contour.  But another issue is whether your skin would, in any event, contract adequately.  The more excess skin you have before-hand (nothing personal, of course..) or the less elasticity, the less likely that it will just snap back the way you'd like it to.

These issues, of course, need to be discussed ahead of time with your plastic surgeon, and should be considered carefully when you're deciding what procedure(s) to do and with which surgeon(s).  At this point, you should go over all of this with your plastic surgeon and, if necessary, you should consider seeking additional opinions.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Liposuction of the stomach and love handles

+2

For some patients, their fat is distributed in focal areas where their outer thighs might harbor a significant disproportionate amount of fat. In that case a person with your height and weight might find satisfactory results with 600ccs of fat  removed by liposuction in the love handles and abdomen. You need a consultation with either a board-certified dermatologic or plastic surgeon for an examination. You will continue to have improvement in subcutaneous retraction for six months, probably, after surgery. Right now you are swollen and it will take a while to see what reduction you will obtain.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Flat tummy after lipo

+2

At 160 lbs you probably won't see much difference from 600 cc's of liposuction, almost certainly not a flat tummy.  Was your doctor a real plastic surgeon?  Unfortunately many pretenders are out there to take your money...

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS