Still Experiencing Pain 1.5 Years After Chin Implant

I've done chin implant 1.5 year back,the left side was always tender warm and swollen. I've taken ciprofloxacin 3 times in this 1.5 yr.It helps and my chin looks fine but the swelling and pain comes back just a week after finishing the course. The chin used to look like goft ball for a year ,when i saw my Doc he said it'll take many months to see final result.Tenderness and asymetry is becomeing fraustating . Is my body rejecting the implant cause of constant infection?

Pain 1.5 Years after Chin Implant

+3

As others have said, it sounds like you have a chronic infection which is resistent to antibiotic treatment because of the presence of a foreign body (the implant). I recommend that the implant be removed, the infection treated, and then replace the implant at a later date. This may sound extreme, but 1.5 years of pain and swelling justify an aggressive approach.

Pain 1.5 years after chin implant.

+3

This is not normal and you do have an infected chin implant that needs to be taken out. Simple and fast procedure and 3-6 months later can be replaced.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant issues

+3

it sounds like you have a chronic smoldering infection of your chin implant.  The antibiotic is able to keep it at bay, but there must be a chronic colonization of the implant which your body and the antibiotic is unable to clear.  So it is not so much that your body is rejecting the implant, but that it can't clear the infection because of the presence of the foreign material

David S. Rosenberg, MD

Persistent pain 1.5 years after chin implant

+1

It sounds like you are having problems with a recurrent infection of your implant. The oral antibiotic isn't enough to clear this and it sounds like the implant needs to be removed. Once this is done a new one can be placed after the area heals in several months.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Tissues should be stable with no swelling

+1

No, I've done many chin and cheek implant surgeries for over 20 years and something isn't right in your particular case.  The chin implant and tissues should be stable at 1 1/2 years post-op and should not be swelling.  Pain and tenderness is possible if the arms (wings) of the implant were placed to close to the mental nerve as it exits along the bone on each side of the chin.  This would not however cause an infection that responds to Cipro.

You should have the sulcus examined on the inside of your lower lip to be sure the implant has not created a fistula as a source of this tenderness and infection.

Chin implant surgery - is chronic swelling and pain normal?

+1

This is a chronic low grade infection that will only resolve after the implant is removed.  A new implant could be placed after 6 months.  

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon