Why Do Some Docs Have "After" Pics Years After A Procedure?

I noticed a doctor who has very good before and after pics for his Rhinoplasties but some of the after pics say that it was taken 3-4 years AFTER surgery. Why is this? Does it take that long to see the full improvement? Do you think they could have given a revision surgery and aren't saying it? It just seems really odd to me. Any info is greatly appreciated.

You Want to See Photos of a Rhinoplasty That Are Taken Years After the Procedure

+2

One of the reasons that a rhinoplasty is considered one of the most difficult cosmetic procedures to perform is because of the changes that occur to the nose over time. The key to a great rhinoplasty is not the way it looks at the end of the procedure, but being able to anticipate the changes that will occur to it as it heals and ages, and have it look good at 6 months, at 1 year, at 5 years, and beyond. I tell all of my rhinoplasty patients that 60% of the swelling will be gone at 1 week, 70% at 2 weeks, 80% at 3 weeks, 90% at 1 month, and that the last 10% could take 6-12 months to completely resolve. I also tell them that the nose is also going to change over may years following a rhinoplasty. Some of that has to do with normal aging, some has to do with a slow contraction of the skin that occurs following a rhinoplasty over several years, and some has to do with how much strength remains in the tip cartilage to resist these changes. Photos taken at 6 months, 1 year, and several years out show just how well that surgeon is able to anticipate these changes so that your rhinoplasty will continue to look good for a lifetime.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Results Should Last For Good

+1

Although the end results of a rhinoplasty appear to be established at about a year post-surgery, additional improvements will happen afterwards.

Also, assessing a rhinoplasty results at a 5 years post-op is crucial as a vivid evidence that the results are permanently successful; the longevity of the improvement is the ultimate goal of every skilled surgeon. 

With that perspective, when you spot before and after photos stretching over years after surgery, the main message behind this move is to provide a fair projections to others to appreciate the successful longevity of the procedure.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

After photos taken a year after rhinoplasty show final results

+1

Full healing on the nose does take at least 1 year.  Most touchups are usually performed at a year post initial rhinoplasty.  If the surgeon has many out of state patients, those patients may not be able to come back for several years for follow-up pictures due to their locale.

Progression of Photos Post Rhinoplasty

+1

I like to take photos incrementally over several years after surgery. This is helpful to illustrate the longevity of the procedure as the patient ages and changes. Many prospective patients embrace the fact that we have progressive photos available to them, especially when making such an important decision to have the surgery done.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pictures years after a procedure

+1

One of the indications that a surgery was performed very well is the longevity of the procedure. By taking photos of a patient 3-4 years after the procedure was performed the surgeon is demonstrating that his surgeries have great longevity.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Long term results are vital

+1

An operation is swollen for a long period of time ..the final result is after the sweklling subsided and the tissues relaxed.Most surgeons lik to see the final result whereas patients like to see a good result in a few weeks

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Long Term Surgical Results

+1

At medical meetings and in medical journals we always request pictures that show at least one year results because these are honest and truly show what was accomplished after all the swelling has resolved. It does not take 3-4 years to see the full improvement but does show lasting results.

One year post op photos are fine.

+1

Ome surgeons show early results of work that is still swollen and not accurate.  One year and beyond show the final result.  This is true for rhinoplasty and facelifts. 

3 year photos

+1

Long term followup photos demonstrating stable good results are the hallmarks of great rhinoplasty surgery. While for most patients healing is complete in one year sometimes there is a continued process of soft tissue shrinkage which may distort the nose or cause loss of support. These changes can occur very subtly and slowly and are often unnoticed unless viewed with before pictures. Beware of early (1-2 month) photos where swelling may disguise irregularity and asymmetry.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after photos several years after surgery

+1

It can be surprising how long the nose continues to evolve after rhinoplasty. Though it is very common to present 1 year "after" rhinoplasty photos, there may be continued changes for several years after surgery in which the skin continues to redrape. If the nose isn't properly supported you may find that unwanted changes such as tip drooping and pinching may occur.

If given the opportunity I find it very helpful for patients to see after photos that are more than a year old as it points to the result's longetivity.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD