Why Doc Only Did TT Without Lipo, Will I Have to Go Back in for Lipo of Sides. I Wanted to Get Everything Needed for Contour

iam 5'9 weigh 185, had a belly with belly button that had a frown from weight loss and a lot of thick hagging skin. went for consult ask PS for TT with lipo of flanks. he said if he feels its needed. iam 3 weeks post op and my concern is that i see bulge around the flanks dont know if its swelling and will go away or it should of been lipo along with TT. I cant take no more time off work and i really worked hard to get the money for procedure. is it too early for me to b freaked out

Contouring the flanks

+3

For most people having a tummy tuck, the contouring of the flanks is accomplished by liposuction.  However, a small percentage of women don't need this because they don't have enough fat to suction or they may need to have the abdominoplasty extended around their sides or back because they have more excess skin there.  The extended or circumferential abdominoplasty is more common in people who have had extensive weight loss.  

Three weeks is too early to determine any results because of the swelling still present.  Three months later is the best time to judge.   Photographs are also helpful in the absence of a physical exam.

Web reference: http://www.drhamawy.com/body/tummy-tuck-westchester-ny/

Tummy Tuck

+2

At 3 weeks post TT, you are still healing.  If you needed lipo, some practices with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will offer “awake liposuction” which enable you to have lipo on Friday, go to work on Monday.  We do this all the time and have very happy patients who do not have to interrupt their schedule.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and tummy Tuck

+2

Dear faithful1,

I would begin by asking my plastic surgeon if the liposuction was performed at all and the anatomical location of said liposuction.  If it was performed, you are only 3 weeks post op and it is to soon to guage the final results.  If it was not performed I would ask why?  None of use here have physically examined you and your surgeon has an opinion which they should mention to you.  As stated by my colleagues below it is acceptable to do flank liposuction during a TT procedure.  I personally do not do liposuction in the upper part of the abomen (rib cage area) during an abdominoplasty due to the possiblity of damaging the blood supply to your new abdomen.  Your surgeon should explain to you why he/she felt it was in your best interests not to have the liposuction at the same time as your abdominoplasty.

Muffin top treatment

+1

Congratulations on what you've accomplished and thank you for the question.

Treatment of the stubborn muffin top involves excision (lipectomy) of excess skin and adipose tissue. Liposuction  surgery alone  will potentially leave you with loose skin and an  unsatisfactory result.

Although not relevant in your case, patients who are undergoing a standard tummy tuck procedure  should be aware however that often an “extended” tummy tuck is necessary to treat the muffin top area. This extended tummy tuck procedure involves flank and back skin and adipose tissue excision as well as liposuction surgery. If liposuction alone is done the patient may still end up with the muffin top and require further surgery to improve the waistline in the future.

Make sure you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Liposuction with a tummy tuck

+1

Please ask your surgeon if he performed a liposuction. Most surgeons would record the amount of fat removed and the areas the fat was removed from. I am sure your surgeon will be happy to share this information with you. If he has not performed a liposuction, I am sure he will explain why.

Swelling after liposuction and tummy tuck can take some time to settle down, up to six weeks or so.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Lipo of waist together with a tummy tuck

+1

A tummy tuck is usually performed along with liposuction of the flanks to get optimal contouring. In some instances prominent flanks are mostly due to extra skin and not fat. Photos would be helpful. You should ask your surgeon if he, indeed, peformed liposuction of the waist assuming that this was planned before surgery. If he did do liposuction then it is too early to see its result which may take 6-8 weeks. If there should be some residual fat afterwards do a secondary lliposuction is not very invloved.

Tummy tuck

+1
At three weeks after surgery it would be normal to have swelling in the flanks if liposuctions was performed. You Need to ask your plastic surgeon what was performed. Although many plastic surgeons will perform liposuction at the time there are others that will not.

Web reference: Http://www.drabramson.com

Tummy tuck and bulge

+1

First it is to soon. I usually don't start to assess until 6 -8 weeks. Second the use of a good garment will help with the swelling to help mold your surgery. Also , staging the procedures is safe. Its the american way to get it all done now but some times that is not the best way to get a good result.  Also, lipo of the hips is a short procedure with minimal to no down time. Give it time and just be honest with your surgeon.

Please attach pictures

+1

It is impossible to give good advise without pictures. You need to wait at lease 3 months before making a judgment about your result.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with Tummy Tuck

+1
Maybe this was a miscommunication with your PS. But speaking for myself I regularly perform liposuction with a tummy tuck to achieve better contouring and minimize dog ears at the incision ends. I would recommend asking your PS whether liposuction was performed and if he or she thinks it is just swelling. Otherwise get a second opinion. Best of luck!

Web reference: http://www.drkhuthaila.com