Is My Doctor Experienced Enough To Preform My Eyelid Surgery?

If my Doc Received His MD 10 Years Ago and is an ENT and performed approx 100 blephs is he experienced enough? Should I be concerned and one of his specialty's is facial plastics.

Eyelid Surgery Experience and Training

+2

The three specialties with experience during post medical school training in Blepharoplasty are Occuloplastic Surgery  Facial Plastic Surgery, and Plastic Surgery. However, training background and specialty is only one piece of the puzzle.  The next question(s) is how experienced is your Surgeon, what kind of work does he/she do, and how often? Although 100 or so Blepharoplasties is an acceptable number, it is a relatively low total for 10 years in practice.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

ENT surgeon doing Blephs

+2

This is a great question. Unlike other specialties who end up doing some facial cosmetic surgery, most Ear, Nose and Throat surgeons are well trained in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery and have more than enough experience performing all facial rejuvenation procedures including Blepharoplasties. Having said that, the most important factor in choosing a surgeon is that surgeon's specific experience in performing that procedure. I encourage you to have a candid conversation with your surgeon about your concerns.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery and experience

+1

Having been trained in facial plastic surgery, your physician should have performed or assisted with many blepharoplasties during his training. In addition, if your physician has received additional training in facial plastic surgery, he/she should be well qualified to perform this procedure. I would ask to see some of his before and after photos and perhaps speak to some of his former patients to make you feel more comfortable.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Well trained ENT surgeons are perfectly qualified to do eyelid surgery.

+1

Hi.

There is nothing in what you say that should make you stay away from this surgeon.  I attach a general article that I wrote about how to pick a cosmetic surgeon.  I hope it helps you ask some useful questions.

1) Is the surgeon a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Members usually do a lot of cosmetic surgery.

2) Did you sense a commitment to excellence in the office. Did the surgeon spend a lot of time with you? Someone who rushes through the consultation may rush through the surgery.

3) Were you treated as an individual? Did the surgeon present you with a surgical plan tailor made for you?

4) Plastic surgeons have to have a good eye and meticulous technique.  Did the surgeon show you A LOT of before and after pictures, and did you love the results?

5) Talk to other doctors you know. Established plastic surgeons have a reputation in the community, good or bad.

6)  Ask to speak to a patient who has had the procedure you want.  You are looking for a surgeon who does a lot of what you want.   Many  patients are eager to share their experience.  Privacy is preserved by having the patient call you.

7)  If you are having breast augmentation, ask if the surgeon has a large inventory of different size and shape breast implants available in the operating room.  A surgeon who does a lot of breast surgery will have an inventory.  This way, the final implant choice does not have to be made in advance.

8)   With office surgery, make sure the surgical facility is ACCREDITED.   Very important safety assurance.

9)   Make sure the anesthesia is given by a BOARD CERTIFIED ANESTHESIOLOGIST.  Another very important safety factor.

10)  Make sure the office has trained nurses available for hands-on post operative care.  This can really speed recovery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

100 blephs over 10 years seems low!

+1

I felt pulled to answer this question as well.  I am an oculofacial plastic surgeon as well.  I do about 100 blephs a MONTH.  My advice would be to find someone that specializes in eyelids, or at the very least, someone who has a lot more experience.   As ASOPRS members, we are fellows of a board that requires its members to have a certain kind of training with hands-on experience, write a thesis, and take written and oral examinations to be accepted.  All of this is focused on the eyelids, periocular area, and facial area alone.  You may want another opinion.   Furthermore, we are ophthalmologists as well and understand the intricacies of the eye too.  

Good luck.

Dr. Jasmine Mohadjer

Oculofacial Plastic Surgery

The Eye Institute of West Florida

Tampa Bay, FL

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Clearwater Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

From what you desribe he certainly sound well qualified.  Take a look at real patients before and after results to be sure these are what you're looking for and then you should be able to relax and undergo the eyelid surgery without reservations, IMHO.

Experience and eyelid surgery

+1

he may be. everyone has to start somewhere. look at his pictures and speak to some patients. another tip. if it takes longer than 1-2 hours maybe look again. often a sign of confidence and experience

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Is your doctor experienced enough to do YOUR eyelid surgery?

+1

I was not planning to answer this post.  Then I realized that no other doctor who did answer was trained as an oculofacial plastic surgeon, and all offered opinions which I thought were of marginal help.  If you were a relative of mine, I would insist that you see the most expereinced doctor in your area for blepharoplasty and by definition, this MUST be an oculofacial plastic surgeon.  This does NOT mean that a general plastics person or facial plastics person will not do good surgery.  But since you raised the question, this is my answer.  The doctor who posted just before me is just plain wrong .  For a directory of well trained oculofacial plastic surgeons, refer to the website of ASOPRS.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

ENT for blepharoplasty

+1
ENT means ear, nose and throat. Nothing about eyes in that training. The question is whether he is fellowship trained in facial cosmetic surgery because his underlying residency is not I this area. I am personally dubious when someone cites the number of cases performed because there is no way for a patient to verify the veracity or truth of the assertion. My recommendation is to see a plastic surgeon in consultation before proceeding with any surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Experience

+1

According to your post the relevant issue is not when the surgeon obtained their MD degree but rather when they finished their training and what the surgeons practice profile is,IE does the surgeon do a substantial volume of aesthetic surgery. You have seen apparently a young surgeon who has not completed a plastic surgery residency.

Jay M. Pensler, MD