Do You Have to Have the Compression Garment After Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuck about 2 weeks ago my Dr. did not suggest a compression garment will not having one ruin my results or will it just make healing longer?

It Is A Matter of Personal Preference

+4

There really are no studies to indicate if there are better results with a support or without a support. I generally have patients wear support if :

1. They like the way it feels

2. They have alot of swelling

3. They are doing more lifting and straining than usual.

Otherwise it is probably optional and will probably have no effect on the final result.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment After Surgery

+2
I HIGHLY recommend wearing a garment. Think of a sweater that is too tight and the seams begin to unravel. This is what can happen with your abdomen if you do not wear a garment. The swelling cased by the surgery could cause you to pop or loosen a suture. A great company for garments is Design Veronique. They have a fantastic website that can assist you in finding the perfect garment for you. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Compression garment after tummy tuck

+1
I always suggest my patients wear a compression garment. This is because it helps ease the swelling, it supports the tightening of your muscles, and allows your skin to better conform to your sleeker contours. However, if your surgeon did not advise you wear one please follow his or her advice.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Compression garment after a tummy tuck

+1

Many surgeons do not recommend a compression garment after a tummy tuck.  Each surgeon is different regarding their post-op philosophy.

Professional Opinion

+1

Your question helps emphasize the fact that when a patient goes to a plastic surgeon, she is treated to a philosophy as to how something should be done. Doctors differ in these opinions as our practice's have different philosophies. This is one of the reasons that one doctor's results differ from those of anothers.

I emphasize garments in my practice after tummy tuck surgery. I see the proper garment helping "mold" the result.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon