Do Face Creams with Matrixyl 3000, Argireline, and Hyaluronic Acid Work?

I'll be 30 years old next year, and I need to find some effective anti-aging skincare products. There are lots of talk about these three ingredients in face creams, which claim that they can promote collagen production and reduce/prevent wrinkles. Is that true? Or should i stick with using Vit C and Vit A products?

Beware of claims by manufacturers about reducing wrinkles or stimulating collagen

+2

Belladoggy,

Unfortunately, claims like these are made by numerous manufacturers without any scientific or factual evidence behind them. Topical argireline, hyaluronic acid, or matrixyl do not prevent or reduce wrinkles and likely don't stimulate collagen production. Most over-the-counter "creams" only provide moisture to the the superficial layer of skin and have little other benefits.

The two best things you can do to keep your skin youthful is to first use daily sunscreen that is broad-spectrum and blocks both UVA and UVB rays. Sun exposure (including tanning) causes the most damage to skin including loss of collagen and textural changes including wrinkling. The second is to refrain or quit smoking as this is the second most skin damaging thing you can do.

As far as treatments, a moisturizer with an antioxidant like Vitamin C and sunscreen is the best topical treatment you can apply. Retin-A (tretinoin) is available only by prescription in the US and is the only topical medication that has proven clinical benefits by stimulating collagen deposition and reducing fine lines. Botox or Dysport are both excellent options for treating and preventing wrinkles around the eyes and in the forehead due to facial expressions. I hope that helps. Best regards.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon