Do the Bumps from Smart Lipo Go Away?

I had smart lipo abut a month ago and I have one fairly large hard bump on my lower abdomen. I was wondering if anyone else had something similar and if it goes away? I massage it but it feels sort of fatty on top and hard underneath. I also get an indention through my waist when I wear pants. Does this mean it's still swollen?

Smartlipo bumps usually temporary

+2

One month is not enough time to judge the final results from Smartlipo or any other type of lipo.  It takes about 3 months for 90% of the swelling to resolves.  Most of it goes away more quickly.  The hard areas gradually soften and settle.  The fact that your waistband leaves an indentation is another indicator that you are still swollen.  Gentle soft tissue massage can also help the areas recover more quickly.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Firmness from Smart Lipo usually goes away

+1

Your description of early firmness after Smart Lipo in not unusual. The fact that you get an indentation temporarily at the belt line means there is still residual edema. Therapeutic or "lymphatic massage" may be helpful following  a  Liposuction (Smart Lipo, Vaser, Tickle lipo, or conventional lipo) to minimize swelling. Make sure your surgeon feels that you have healed sufficiently  and it is safe before doing this.  Endermologie is also very helpful after liposculpture/liposuction but again, not critical.  Although deep tissue massage following liposuction can aid in smoothing out  contour irregularities that invariably accompany this procedure it has limited effect on the final outcome and  is NOT mandatory. Some plastic surgeons recommend it to all  patients as they feel the edema resolves faster.  Ask your surgeon to show you or a significant other how to do this if cost is an issue. Typically they will have you massage toward areas of maximum lymphatic drainage ( for example groin or armpits) A low sodium diet may also be helpful early on.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Yes, it should if it is just swelling from fluid

+1

During the healing process of liposuction, there is frequently swelling of the area from fluid that accumulates and can't easily be cleared until the lymphatics have a chance to regrow. This is probably what is happening in your case. I'd give it about another week or two. If it hasn't gone away or is growing in the meantime, I'd contact your surgeon to be seen. The other causes for this can be infection (if you have any fever or temperature or redness, go there immediately) or a collection of fluid called a seroma. Seromas typically can grow and are not very hard, but if this doesn't go away, that may be a possibility that needs to be reviewed by your surgeon.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist