Can Divot on Nose Be Fixed?

I have a divot on my nose from a biopsy, can it be fixed? I have a trichoepithelioma that my dermotologist biopsied. It was connected to an enlarged pore and when the biopsy site healed, it became a divot/hole on the tip of my nose. It is very noticeable and I am wondering how I might get this fixed, removed or diminished?

Skin Deformity after a biopsy

+2

Hi there-

I would give this at least 6 months (and preferably a year) for scar maturation to occur before considering any intervention other than maybe a topical scar treatment or laser treatment.

Scar maturation alone (which takes a year in humans) will improve the appearance of your divot-

If after a year it still is concerning to you, see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about scar revision or reconstruction of the area.

Fixing biopsy divot on nose

+1

Biopsies can be fixed by one of several methods. One option is to have a scar revision performed. Another option is to perform a dermabrasion on the actual existing scar now. Another alternative is to place a small-morselized cartilage graft underneath it to the depressed area of the nose to give it a smooth contour.

Repair of Nose Divot Scar

+1

Hi Jen,

It can be improved. Best to have it examined by a plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon once your scar has matured and healed. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Divots on the nose can be fixed.

+1

How it is fixed will depend on how deep is it, how mobile is the adjacent skin, how large, etc. See a facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is experienced with this type of problem.

Treatment of a nasal divot after biopsy

+1

These can be very difficult to impossible to fix. Sometimes you can bring down the edges of the skin divot with a laser. I have not found too much improvement for this problem with current techniques. It sounds like the wound was not sutured after the biopsy. The tip of the nose never does will with healing of an open wound on its own (second intention healing). If that is the case you may get some improvement buy cutting out the divot and suturing the wound closed. This works better in older individuals who tend to have extra nasal skin so the closure can be tension free.

Aaron Stone, MD

Divot on tip of nose following biopsy

+1

A divot on the nose following a biopsy may be most apparent during the healing period (6 weeks). Subsequent to this it tends to improve. If the depression remains, a variety of options including fillers and/or scar revision may be necessary to improve the appearance. Once the wound is healed topical scar massage may help the wound to mature.