Lipo Suction Divits on the Tummy

My friend is thin and has hereditary fat on her Tummy she is 45..Her girl friend who is sixty had lipo suction a while back and has divits and rippels on her tummy..My friend is scared off now..I think she would be ok and not have divits if she just goes to a good DR. Are their more jobs that have rivits than ones that are smooth?

"Redo" or "touchup liposuction" can help correct ripples and divots made by previous surgery

+3

The best plan to ensure a beautiful, smooth liposuction result is to select a properly trained, experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon the first time around.

However, not all patients do their homework and many go to clinics where other practioners (such as Dentists, other MDs or even non-MDs!) are offering cosmetic procedures such as liposuction, breast augmentation, Botox, etc. 

This is extremely frightening and a sign of the times - that many businesses wish to collect your money, without concern for YOUR SAFETY!

Liposuction done incorrectly can result in "ripples" or waves of fat alongside depressions that create a dimpled or divoted appearance.  Even in the best performed cases, by properly trained and experienced Plastic Surgeons, occasionally some mild rippling can occur with liposuction - particularly in the abdominal region.

However, don't fret:  It IS possible to correct minor ripples created by past liposuction.  It may never be possible to achieve a completely smooth, pre-liposuction contour, but improvements can be made.

This is achieved by additional, very careful suctioning of the "hills" using very small diameter cannulas, and completely avoiding the "valleys" or depressions.

If you are seeking correction or "redo liposuction", due your due diligence and be sure to research your Plastic Surgeon to ensure they have a great deal of experience with this procedure - not only getting great results the first time, but in doing complicated corrections.

Karen M. Horton, M.D., M.Sc., F.R.C.S.C.

Lipo-Divots

+2

Great question! It seems everyone is performing liposuction these days...even non-medical personnel. It is scary and I think in some respects, at least from what I have seen and experienced here in my office in the southeast, that most of the issues with contour abnormalities (divots, grooving, depressions) occur from inexperienced lipo-sculpturers. I tell my patients that it is not necessarily the paintbrush that makes the masterpiece but the artist holding it. Same with liposuction....lots of marketing out there (lasers, water, tumescent, smart, etc.), so buyer beware.

Same goes for your surgeon....shop around, but ultimately MAKE SURE you are seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with significant liposuction experience. He/she will examine your "inherited" fat deposits and skin condition and educate you/your friend as to what the best option might be in each particular case.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!

Dr. C

John Philip Connors III, MD

Liposuction results depend on the skill of the surgeon and the patients anatomy

+1

First, you shouldn't compare a 60 year old to a 45 year old.  In fact, sometimes, you can't compare two 45 year olds.  What is necessary is for your friend to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon.  He can let her know how her skin will respond to liposuction.  If her skin is thinned out and inelastic, she may not be a good candidate.  If her skin is thicker and more elastic, she may do very well.  The amount of fat that is to be removed is also important.  Finally, the skill of the surgeon is very important.  Make sure you go to a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs a lot of liposuction.  Do your homework.  Good luck!

Dr. Parham Ganchi

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and divots

+1

Certtainly contour irregularities may happen with liposuction although it is not common.   I would say that it is more common with very thin skin and over aggressive lipo.

Liposuction and divits

+1

See a board-certified plastic or dermatologic surgeon for liposuction. Certainly there may be significant improvement with your surgery. See Dr. Rick Glogau, in San Francisco.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Lipo suction divits on the tummy

+1

This is a common complication of any type of liposuction on an older patient. The skin elasticity is not that of a 40 year old. This should have been discussed in the pre operative visit as part of the informed consent. From MIAMI Dr. B

Liposuction works best with youthful skin

+1

Amazing that somebody offered a 60 year old a liposuction procedure to the abdomen and did not inform the patient of potential for loose skin and contour problems. Liposuction results rely on youthful elastic skin without laxity for best results. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon for an opinion before embarking on another liposuction adventure.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS