What is This Divot Inferior to Tummy Tuck Scar? (photo)

I have a divot/hole and a line inferior to my tummy tuck scar. It is a very sensitive area and one of the most consistently painful sites. Not to mention it looks stupid. How does this happen and how can it be fixed? I noticed it the day after surgery and mentioned it to my doctor and he said we would watch it and wait for swelling to go down before speculating. I'm now almost 3 weeks post op and it clearly isn't something that's going to go away. It's also still very painful.

The sutures can sometimes cause contour irregularities after abdominoplasty.

+1

The procedures are usually used to anchor the overlying flaps with operations like abdominoplasty. There almost always dissolvable and the depressions will gradually go away. If not they will need release by small procedure.

Divot inferior to tummy tuck scar

+1

Sometimes a suture comes close to the skin, creating the depression you see.  These almost always resolve with time.  Massaging the area may be beneficial but please discuss this with your surgeon .  Good Luck

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

Divot Inferior to Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

The upper photo appears to show drain tracts just below the ends of the transverse abdominal incision so this may rule out drains as the cause.  The indentation could be the result of liposuction in the area as well as a deep suture.  I am unsure what the skin marking is that extends vertically below the indentation.  Ask your surgeon.  He or she should be able to help figure out the situation.  The good news is that many of these irregularities will resolve without intervention.  If the problem persists for 6 to 9 months, revision should be considered.

Philip E. Fleming, MD

Divot Inferior to Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

This unusual crease must be from a suture and the way the area is healing.  If it does not improve over the next 6 months may need a revision.  

Divot?

+1

Not really sure what that is from. Most likely from a deep suture. Ask your doc. If it is from a dissolvable deep suture it should go away as the suture dissolves, though this could be 6-12 weeks.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Divot with pain and scarring 3 weeks post-op after tummy tuck

+1

In reality, the only one who can answer this question with certainty is your surgeon because he is the only one who was there and knows how he did the surgery.  One of my first thoughts was that this looks like it could be a drain site, but I think I see the healing drain sites further laterally on either side of your groins.  The only other thing that I can think to suggest is that it is inversion of the skin created by a deep suture which was placed too close to the undersurface of the skin in this area.  Sometimes we try to stabilize the pubic tissues with sutures to keep them from getting pulled upward, and if this was done and one of the sutures got too close to the skin, this type of thing could happen.  If it was this that happened, and the stitch was an absorbable stitch, it is likely that it will correct itself when the suture material dissolves and swelling resolves.  If it's not an absorbable stitich, it may need to be removed to correct the deformity.  The best thing is to ask your surgeon frankly what his opinion of the matter is.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

What is This Divot Inferior to Tummy Tuck Scar?

+1

It looks like a healing incision, but only your surgeon can answer this question.All the best.