I have had allergies and the doctor said my septum looked big. Is This a Deviated Septum? (photo)

Right now i have bad allergies, when i went to the doctor a year ago he said my septum looked big. But left it at that. Both sides are like this, this is the right and the left side is smaller and i can still breath through it. The right side is big and i cannot breath through it at all even if i push down on the other side and try to force the air to move. When I sniffle I can feel how big the right side is. Is doesnt hurt, my nose isn't crooked. I haven't had any surgery at all.

Deviated septum and problems breathing throught the nose

+1

Dear Karlylang,

• Other than a deviated septum, we can also reduce the size of the turbinates (they are on the outside wall of the nose), which may help your allergies
  • If you would like to breathe better, you can try a nasal spray (like Flonase or Nasonex) or opt for surgery if you are a candidate
  • Please visit a nose specialist when you are ready

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Deviated Septum

+1

Best to consult with a qualified ENT Dr that can give you a full examination. If you are in Los Angeles please contact us at the Boriscosmetic Center. Good luck

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Is This a Deviated Septum?

+1

It is difficult to determine from the limited photo whether you have a deviated septum or whether the issue is prominence of a portion of your tip cartilage. Both can be remedied but require a surgical procedure to do so. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Deviated septum

+1

The septum can be deviated on either one or both sides, and can be deviated in the front of the nose and the back of the nose. A full examination of the internal portion of the nose must be performed to determine medical necessity to see if the degree of deviation is causing nasal obstruction. In addition to a deviated septum causing obstruction, there are other issues that can cause nasal obstruction such as valve collapse, vestibular stenosis, turbinate hypertrophy, and allergies. Most insurance companies recommend medical management first, and if patients have failed medical management for nasal obstruction, then consideration for the surgical option to include a septoplasty can be entertained.