Am I a candidate for a neck lift to remove the loose chin of the jowl and chin area? (photo)

i would also like to have a neck lift to remove the loose chin of the jawl and chin area, also i have enclosed a photo for i want to know if the fold of skin on the back of my head can be removed or not? I am not sure if this is fat and skin or just skin; and I'm also not sure if this is something i should just let be, not worth the risk of trying to remove due to complications. I tried to research it online, but i don't know if i was entering the correct search terms into the search engine.

Posterior Neck Roll Excision

+2

I can appreciate the area from your picture, but the resultant scar may not be worth the gain in contour.

Posterior Neck Roll Excision

+2

The removal of the skin fold on the back of the neck can be done and there are no significant complications from doing it. This skin roll always occurs over the nuchal ridge of the occipital skull. I have done it before for exactly the skin roll that you show. There will be a fine line scar in its placement, very similar to that of a hair transplant harvest scar. Whether trading off one aesthetic 'problem' (roll) for another (scar) is a matter of personal preference.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Scalp Ridge Can Be Treated With Resulting Scar

+2
Thank you for your question and photo.  The ridge on the back of your head can be treated by resection of the skin but you would have a scar.  If it is done directly where you have the ridge, it will result in a scar that disrupts the hairline which will be visible since you wear your hair short.  If it is lowered to the hairline, you will still have a scar, but their is a risk of a fluid collection or seroma.  You appear to be young, so you may benefit more from liposucton of the neck rather than a neck lift.  An in person consultation would be necessary to give you more advice on the proper course of treatment.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

I want to know if the fold of skin on the back of my head can be removed or not

+2

That fold is above the nuchal ridge and could be removed .  Question is if the resulting scar, especially if you wear your hair short, would be worth the effort. 

Neck Lift & Posterior Neck Roll

+1

There are several different options available to you depending on which avenue you prefer to take. Having a neck lift alone will help to tighten loose skin but if someone has excess fat under their chin as well, a surgeon may recommend also doing some liposuction in conjunction with the lift. Since you are young your skin should be quite resilient, allowing the elasticity in the skin to tighten back up better. Seeing a picture of you from the front would help better determine that.

From your picture you did supply it appears as if you are a good candidate to have the fold on the back of your neck removed. There are the normal risks and possible side effects that could occur with most surgical procedures, but those are rare. A downside of that type of surgery is that it will leave a scar and sometimes there can be hair loss at the scar site. I recommend scheduling a consult with a board certified plastic surgery who performs both procedures so you can go over everything. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon