Microdermabrasion and Acne?

I have acne and scars, and was wondering if dermabrasion would remove the existing scars; then i'm also wondering if acne is the underlying problem, how can it last with future breakouts and scaring? I am trying to udnerstand how this can work; but i can't see how it can . . . ??

Acne treatment with microdermabrasion

+2

Microdermabrasion can be beneficial for mild acne (especially comedonal), and for mild scarring. For deeper scarring, such as ice pick scarring and rolling scars, and for the most part box-car scars, laser fractional resurfacing is far more effective (e.g. ProFractional laser). Dermabrasion is a much more aggressive form than microdermabrasion and also effective for many types of acne scars, but not as commonly performed now that laser resurfacing is widely available and has a more precise control for the operator using it.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Microdermabrasion and Scar.....Removal????

+2

I would not go that far, but depending on the appearance of your scar, microdermabrasion may improve the appearance. Now you realize that not all scars are created equal. The more noticeable it is, the less likely microdermabrasion is going to help you. If you mean dark spots, not surface irregularity, then microderm combined with chemical peeling and lightning compounds may lessen the appearance of your scars.

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologist