Lower Body Lift Vs. Upper Body Lift? (photo)

i posted pics before, but they weren't that good, so i tried to take ones w/better lighting. I want to know from the experts, which surgery is better for me the upper body lift or the lower body lift? my areas of frustration are my back, love handles, and stomach area, i can deal w/my arms and legs; it's just that those areas are the areas that are resistant to exercise; because it's loose skin that won't shrink any further . .

Which body lift?

+2

Thank you for your question and for providing the photos. While it is impossible to make a definitive recommendation based on the photos alone, it would appear that you would need both an upper and lower body lift to treat all of the areas that are involved.

While a circumferential body lift, or lower body lift, is effective in removing the lower abdominal skin and the upper thigh/love handle area, it does not treat the folds of the mid back. This really requires an upper body lift. Unfortunately, both procedures cannot be done at the same time, so it would need to be staged.

I would suggest consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon near you for a specific plan. They could examine your torso and discuss the steps needed to get where you want to be.

Jeff Rockmore

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Upper or Lower Body Lift??

+2

The answer is Yes.  Male pattern weight distribution is different than female pattern.  The key to having a successful surgery is determined by your overall health prior to surgery.  Have you lost weight?  Are you at a stable weight and is that weight your goal?  What type of scarring are you willing to accept to treat these areas?  I have performed several different types of body lifts.  For men such as your self, I would recommend a circumferential procedure such as a corset coupled with an upper back transverse excision to remove that upper fold of tissue on your back.  The circumferential excision coupled with the midline excision will get rid of the excess tissue that is bothering you

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Upper or lower body lift

+2

I usually start a lower body lift first and then if needed I do an upper body lift.  Make sure you get to your goal weight first, more than liley you will have a safer outcome and better result.

Upper or lower body lift

+2

I think a tummy tuck would improve your contours, but your pictures seem to indicate that you have a rather unique anatomical skin distribution.  A posterior lower body lift may not give you much benefit at all, as you appear to have very little laxity at the belt area.  Direct excision of the folds higher up could remedy the skin problem higher on the back.  Thus, a tummy tuck and a modified posterior direct excisional lift may be an option to consider with your surgeon. 

Lower Body Lift Vs. Upper Body Lift

+1

Congratulations on your massive weight loss. You should be very proud of yourself. Based on the pictures that you submitted, I would suggest two surgeries. The first surgery I would suggest would be a 360 lower body lift This would remove excess skin and fat of the abdomen, love handles, and lower back. It would also improve your buttocks. Approximately, 1 to 2 months later, I would return for upper body lift which would remove excess skin from the back and your breasts. The upper body lift can be performed with an incision that goes from the armpit to the hip. Another incision pattern is made following a bra strap line across the center portion of your back. Typically, I reserve this incision for females because the scar is more visible. Typically, females can hide this under their bra strap. However, I do have male patients who do not mind this incision. Again, congratulations on your massive weight loss. Good luck on your weight-loss journey. Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Body contouring after weight loss

+1

Thank you for posting your photos.  The answer to your question depends on your priorities.  If you are concerned with your tummy area and waist and flanks (lower waist), then a circumferential body lift would be the procedure for you.  However, if your priorities are your arms, sides (area under your arms) and back, then an upper trunk lift would be the procedure.   I recommend you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options. 

Best of luck.

Dr Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Upper Body Lift or Lower Body Lift?

+1

Based on your photos and the areas you would like to improve you will benefit from both an upper and a lower body lift.  The lower body lift will address your stomach, love handles, and buttocks, and the upper body lift will address your back rolls, arms, and chest.  Although there is no "correct" answer to your question, the lower body lift is likely to correct two out of the three areas of frustration that you mention (stomach and love handles), and more visibly improve your overall appearance.  I would recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon regardless of which procedure you decide to undergo.  Good luck!

Mark Schwartz, MD