So After a Belt Lipectomy; Can You Sit? is It Painful?

i was just reading where a poster on Real Self had a Belt Lipectomy; and as i read, it said it deals with the lower part fo the body (buttocks, flanks/love handles). So my question is, is this procedure painful? Can you sit and recover without many impossible restrictions?

Can I sit after a belt lipectomy

+2

Thank you for your question. Body contouring after weight loss has become increasingly common, which includes lower body lifts. With a lower body lift, or belt lipectomy, the excess skin of the belly, flanks, buttocks, and lateral thighs is removed, which recontours these areas. This does leave a scar that circles the body, but can be quite effective in treating the skin excess.

People are able to sit after a lower body lift. Though there is some recovery time, it is manageable  After 2 weeks time, most people are able to resume normal activities of daily living.

Body lift recovery

+2

Usually patients have discomfort that usually improves during the first week.  As for sitting, it should be OK to do so as I perform it. 

Body Lift Recovery

+2

I have my patients ambulating immediately after surgery.  However, immediately after surgery, you will be walking flexed at your waist (in the skier's position).  Each day, you will be gradually able to straighten.  It generally takes 5-10 days (on average 7 days) for my patients to walk straight.  I do instruct my patients to sleep in a recliner or sleep in their bed propped up with pillows to mimic a the recliner or lawnchair position.  By 10-14 days after surgery, you should be getting close to your baseline ( able to drive, walk straight etc).  Most patients are able to get back to a desk job in about 2-3 weeks.  However, no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks after your surgery.  You need to give time for all your incisions to heal.  During this 6 week period, most surgeons will recommend some form of compression garments to help minimize your postop swelling.   Talk to your plastic surgeon to learn more about his/her specific postoperative care protocol.   Hope this helps.

Recovery after body contouring can be very smooth with minimal discomfort

+2

Thank you for your questions.  When I perform body contouring procedure, like a belt lipectomy, I make sure that all of my patient have several copies of my instructions to ensure the smoothest recovery.  Basically, I recommend taking it easy for 7-10 days, but I do want my patients walking around to help stimulate good healing.  As far as pain goes, I inject a lot of numbing medicine during the procedure so the inital recovery involves little pain.  Then, I recommend around the clock pain pills for several days to help through the initial post-operative period.  After that, many of my patients actually switch to ibuprofen or Tylenol.  Sitting is allowed right after surgery, but no exercise for 10 days.  Good luck!  Dr. Schreiber....Baltimore plastic surgeon

After a Belt Lipectomy; Can You Sit

+2

There is discomfort with any operation, and this is quite a large one. But the pain is manageable with medications. As to post-operative posture, that will vary from patient to patient. If the closure is quite tight, and this may not be the case in the back, you may be advised not to sit. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.